1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The truth about mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by In2Ice, Feb 2, 2012.

1. In2Ice

In2Ice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Can mealworms really eat through your chickens stomach? I read you are supposed to crush or remove their heads before feeding them to your chickens. I find this hard to belive. What is the real deal regarding this? Thx

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    If this were true, my ladies would have been dead a long time ago! They love mealworms, either dried or fresh.

3. Stuart77047

Stuart77047 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    Also if their gizzards can handle sharp stones, I am not sure how much damage a meal worm could do. Especially if they have those same stones in their gizzard to pulverize the worms fairly quickly.

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Where did you read this, exactly? Heck, my chickens eat live centipedes and scorpions!

5. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    I was told this years ago when I had a turtle. But I was told only to do it on the superworms and if the animal swollowed the worms whole. Not sure if it was a "just in case" thing or they realy did try and eat there way back out..

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I was told this to about superworms and feeding them to my bearded dragons. I really never believed it.

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Wow, I have never heard of such a thing. I guess it could be possible with a turtle, but definitely not a chicken. The worms usually get crushed to death just by being picked up in the beak of the chicken. As for the turtle, I don't see it happening, I have seen turtles eat, and they usually eat small bites, small enough to kill a worm.

8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Oh, I was just looking on a bearded dragon forum, and there were 3 people who had said that they mistakenly fed mealworms to baby bearded dragons, and the babies didn't chew them, so the worm ate a small hole in the stomach causing an abcess. I guess it does happen. ???????????

Definitely not to a chicken though.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    From what I've been able to find, this refers only to "super worms." Since I've never fed my chickens super worms (usually treated with a hormone to make them larger and never turn into a beetle) I can't comment on that. But the regular plain old mealworm does NOT do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by