The truth about pet foods article

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by vicki2x2, Nov 5, 2010.

1. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
  2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I've heard this in several places. I'm still a little skeptical. EVeryone I know who has a pet euthanized either takes the body home for burial or opts for cremation. Very seldom have I heard of anyone just letting the vet dispose of the body.

For another thing, vets sending just a few bodies to a processing facility would require some kind of climate controlled truck--whose driver is driving circuituous routes to pick up all of these animals. The logistics are a little hard to imagine.

Possibly from large city animal shelters.

3. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Possibly rendering plants?

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I doubt they are coming from vets but rather from pounds or animal shelters where they would pick up a large quantities at a time.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    animal digest CAN be euthanized animals, including past pets. Doesn't mean it IS. It's a rather expensive task to go around collecting dead pets when it is easier to get larger dead stuff.

Every time I see an article like this, I just see it as a reminder to people to know what is in the food they feed, if they care.

6. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Regardless, the ingredients are absolutely junk and the fact that they are found in some of the big name pet foods and people just don't seem to be aware of it is alarming!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There is no evidence whatsoever presented in that article ("I have emails but I can't show you" is not EVIDENCE [​IMG]).

I think it is vanishingly unlikely. If nothing else, I am pretty sure that some SERIOUS investigative-expose' type journalists have attacked this issue a number of times and come up with nothing. Plus the economics seem implausible.

"Regardless, the ingredients are absolutely junk" is a totally other issue.

Pat

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Quote:I think the point of the article is the junk ingredients and supposedly only one of the listed ones possibly used euthanized pets. I am sure that was thrown in for shock value. Whether they do or not, the ingredients are still junk, and are used in name brand foods, those are easy to check out for yourself. That was what I was trying to show. I think too many people buy a brand because it is "well known" or "recommended by their vet" and think that makes it good for their pet. Not necessarily. Unfortunately most vets have 2 days or less of pet nutrition in their 8 years of college! Certain Dog Food companies donate huge sums of money, donations, buildings, etc to vet schools and young vets, which is great, but you can see why they might recommend those products.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    A friend of mine knows a lot about German Shephards and dogs in general. In his opinion, any dog food that comes from a supermarket is crap. No matter how much you pay for it.

10. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I have to agree. I have bred, shown, trained, raised, studied dogs and dog food for years. I consider myself a true animal lover, but if I had to choose, dogs are definitely my favorite, my passion.

Anything you can buy in a grocery store is crap, plain and simple and you aren't saving any money either. If you think you are, you need to do your homework. I can show you dog food that is much better made, that your dog will eat less of and get twice the nutrition from. It will cost us less in the long run, guaranteed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by