1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Ultimate Newbie Question!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jessierose, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    How much feed should these little critters eat???

Let's say they can't be outside because of rain or coop repairs, etc: how much feed do you offer each bird per day?

I have 48 2month old black stars and assorted brown egg layers and a pair of 7 month old RIRs. How much would you offer? Also, how many waterers for that many young birds?

2. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    Chickens eat constantly. I fill their feeders and let them eat their fill.

3. jessierose

Mar 23, 2009
    I did that for one week about 2 weeks ago and found that no matter how much I offered each day they ate every single bit.
    How many bags of feed would you expect to go through with 50 birds in one month? I am going through A LOT!!!

4. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    I averaged 50# a week for the first 4 weeks I had my meaties. We had 40 birds. It crept upwards from there and my guess is that it was about 65-70# at the end.

I just refill the waterers as needed. With 40 birds, I refilled the 5 gallon waterer every 36 hours.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    With about 20 birds, I go thru a 50# bag a month, maybe a little more,less when they free- range

6. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:Hmm... I must be doing something wrong. My 20 girls are eating 4 times that in a month. Plus they get a treat of some sort each day (fruit/veggies/scratch) since I can't free range t hem because of all the dogs around.

7. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I have about 30 birds up in breeder pens full time. They easily eat 100 lbs of feed a week.

8. jessierose

Mar 23, 2009
    Ok...more confused than ever. I guess I can average everyone's answers.

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    How about averaging the feed consumption of Leghorn-type and broiler pullets? The University of Missouri poultry people have some numbers for us to use.

An 8 week-old Leghorn-type pullet typically eats 325 grams of feed, each week.

An 8 week-old broiler pullet eats 970 grams of feed, each week.

The average would be 647.5 grams or about 1.4 pounds, each week. (That looks high to me for Black Stars & RIR, but . . . we are averaging . . . )

For 50 pullets, that would be 71 pounds of feed, each week, or about 285 pounds of feed in a month.

Shorting them on feed will slow their development and may make for small birds and small eggs at maturity.

Steve

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I only have six birds, so my info might not help much. BUT I always make sure their feeder is FULL and have access to food at all times. That and fresh water daily. I think they eat when they need food, and stop and do chicken things til they need food again, not like a dog that will eat til they drop. Mine also go out and forage for a bit each day, so they get extra goodies and protein. If you supplement them with good veggies and some fruits and cheese or pasta treats, they'll even love you more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by