the uncurable sticky butt...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuisaD, Mar 16, 2012.

1. LuisaD

LuisaD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    my self hatched chicks are going on 2 months this weekend... from day 1 one of them has had sticky butt... I have wiped it, bathed it, put vaseline on it... you name it, I've tried it... I can't get rid of his sticky butt.... HES THE ONLY ONE WITH IT!!! will I ever get rid of it... or will this be my lifelong adventure with this little girl?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sometimes it happens when they're kept too hot, sometimes when they catch a cold draft.
    Those conditions usually clear up in a few days.
    Have you given probiotics?
    Either a bene-bac powder in their water or plain whole fat yogurt.
    Also organic apple cider vinegar in the water - 1 tbsp per gallon, crush a garlic clove and put that in the water at each filling. Disinfect waterers and feeders.
    Electrolyte/vitamin mix in the water wouldn't hurt.
    Don't feed other treats. Just non-medicated chick starter/grower at this point.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What are you feeding them?

4. LuisaD

Jan 27, 2012
    I have done ALL the above!! But it's just not getting better... it's like she doesnt know how to clean herself... I don't know.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They shouldn't have to clean themselves. The feces should be fairly firm.
    Do a search on vent gleet.

6. LuisaD

Jan 27, 2012
    I feed the chick starter sometimes noodles...

7. LuisaD

Jan 27, 2012
    theres 18 of them... i thought 7 would hatch but I got 23 with 18 survivors.. none of the other guys have this issue... This particular chick also doesnt really have that tail covering most of them have... it has more of a bob...

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can trim the fluff/feathers off her rear end for a clear "shot" to the ground. If you're feeding them medicated chick starter, switch them over to non-medicated chick starter feed, preferably crumbles. Dont give her anymore noodles or any other treats.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    And sometimes they should just be culled.
    Good luck.

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Pasty Butt;

Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 1 day. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. What happens is that there is a blockage. Then, only the white liquid, which is urine, can get past it. This white liquid runs out the vent, unlike feces that literally shoots out, and builds up on feathers and/or skin, even to the point that it sometimes blocks the vent. Not pleasant. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks. Have fun.........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by