The use of stunning in livestock slaughter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rivers, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Rivers

Rivers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    What do you think of it?

Most people here in the UK seem to be under the impression that it is more humane to stun an animal before slaughter as it apparently reduces the pain/ordeal of dying. Traditional methods of slaughter (knife to the jugular done by hand individually) is typically only done by Kosher & Halal slaughterhouses and many people are outraged by this (some even campaign) as they believe it to be barbaric.

The main way in which cattle are slaughtered for mass market is very mechanised, animals put on a sort of conveyor with barriers around either side of there heads so they cannot move. They get either electrocuted or a bolt gun to the head which concusses them then they get dragged along and where either a mechanised blade chops their head off or they get dangled upside down and get their throat cut then.

With sheep and pigs, the slaughter house workers seem to electrocute the animals repeatedly and liberally to stop them running around. They have several animals together in the room so they are understandably spooked. To me it seems that the stunning here is PURELY for the laziness of the staff. As you can easily calm a sheep down and hold it still.

They also stun chickens before slaughter, cannot fathom as to why.

I was wondering what methods small holders in the USA use? I think small holders and even large farms in the UK are not ALLOWED to slaughter their own animals. They have to transport them to centralised abbotoirs, often a long road journey away.

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    You will probably get a bigger response in the Meat Birds ETC section of the forum. They also use it for other meat animals. Dying is never fun or painless in my opinion. The quicker the better. Most stunning is done to make the muscles relax & to incapacitate. Ever tried holding a large pig or sheep that's fighting for it's life? Impossible & dangerous.
    On the other hand, I'm sure that the workers in big plants are hardened to their jobs & probably use excessive force when not necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by