The vet killed Kiwi!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pixiechick, Jul 30, 2008.

1. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    OMG This can't be real! My whole family is out of town, I'm farm sitting, and the (explitive) vet killed my mom's baby. A little girl was visiting last week and broke Kiwi's leg, but she had a cast and was getting around as happily as ever. Yesterday morning, I dropped her off at the vet (supposedly, very reputable) so they could check that her circulation was good, etc. They said they would call, that she would probably be ready to pick up in a few hours. I called a 12:00. The vet got on the phone ( I should have suspected something then) and said Kiwi was fine. He had loosened the pressure on her arm, but she hadn't woken up from sedation yet so I probably wouldn't be able to get her until 3:00 or 4:00. I checked back at 2:15. The vets assistant called me back at 2:30 saying she was still asleep but not to worry because the vet said he would take her home and take care of her if she wasn't ready by five. They said they would call me back.

Finally at 5, my mom called them from her vacation, then called me in absolute hysterics because they said she DIDN'T MAKE IT and had died 30 min. earlier.

He went on to say that they knew they were in trouble as soon as they sedated her, and they gave her medicine to bring her out of it. Since the medicine didn't work, there must have been something wrong with her liver. Yeah, right. . .of course it wasn't his fault. I don't know why he had to sedate a Yorkie to check its cast anyway!

I feel like they are not telling us the whole truth, and there's nothing I can do about it. My family won't be back until Friday. I've cried until I'm sick . . . this is making me crazy!

Rest in peace little one.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Oh man, I'm so sorry! That is terrible. Sometimes bad things happen and we just don't have any control over it.

I'm really sorry.

3. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I am so sorry for the loss of that cute little baby!

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh I am so sad for you and your Mom. [​IMG] to you both. Kiwi was such a pretty girl.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. I think sedation is much more risky in small breeds. I have been afraid to get my 2 maltese their teeth cleaned because i have heard of this. I feel so sad for you and your mother [​IMG]

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I'm so sorry for your loss, when I had my Pom spayed it took her almost 2 days after the surgery to snap out of the anesthesia.

7. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    omg! that is so horrible... i am so sorry for u and your mom. words arent enough!
    sending u hugs :aww [​IMG]
    i am so sorry.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Any reputable vet in my area does blood work before sedation unless it is an emergency situation. This is not right.

Also, you need to see the body. Is it possible they decided you were somehow neglectful to the puppy and stole her? I have heard of such things to happen. Obviously they lied to you all afternoon about her, so what's to say they didn't lie to you about this............

ETA: :aww

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    its a real shame things like that happen. i had a guinea pig with teeth problems, took him in to have his teeth trimmed and took him home. long story short they broke his back and then wanted to charge me $40 to put him to sleep! Needless to say I didnt end up paying that much.

10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I am so sorry to hear your sad tale! [​IMG]

my condolences to everyone that loved Kiwi!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by