The voices in my head say "get more chickens!"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Happyheifer, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Happyheifer

Happyheifer New Egg

Aug 30, 2013
    Hi y'all! I'm a stay at home grandma and have started my flock this year...and increased it almost weekly with either new chicks or a new breed...lol! I'm addicted. As of the end of this weekend I'll have 53 chickens and 22 (or 23) breeds. I have to stop (until next year) because of a pact I made with the significant other. This weekend I am getting a trio of Swedish Flower Hens that I hope to start breeding next spring so we'll see how it goes! I've been

2. Happyheifer

Happyheifer New Egg

Aug 30, 2013
    Oops! I meant to add that I've been getting a ton of great information from y'all for several months and Thank You! Also, while I'm here, when we had chickens when I was young, we put tablets in their water to prevent "spraddle leg" my dad says. So far, that's been the only issue I've had with new chicks. I can't find the tablets...any advice on chicks that are fine one day but weak and getting trampled to death the next?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills. :frow

We have the same size chicken flock; I also have 20-some Cayuga ducks, four turkeys, five geese, and a peacock. Five years ago, I never imagined I would have chickens, much less a large flock of poultry. I hear those voices, too....
    ;)

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All of the voices here will also say "GET MORE CHICKENS". [​IMG] Welcome to BYC.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Happyheifer, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Listen to the voices!! [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They sell poultry vitamins at the store...here is a link with some mentioning perosis:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Chicks look flattened when they pass away and they are very little. They could have died not from trampling, but from failure to thrive or shipping stress, etc.

Check to make sure you have adequate numbers of heat lamps and they aren't piling for warmth. Also monitor for bloody poos (coccidiosis) and lethargy/fluffed up (cocci.).

Welcome!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]guess I am wired differently - voices in my head say "buy rocky road ice cream NOW!!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by