The waiting Game (am I all set?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by france, May 4, 2009.

1. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    I have been so good. I waited 2 years until we moved. Placed my order in February and set delivery for May to make sure our temps were better. I managed to not buy the 25 bantams I found at TSC. I walked right by the tub of standard chicks repeatedly. I ignored the ad for 10 silkies on craigslist. I somehow managed to read this board almost daily and I never bought an incubator or fertilized eggs. Though I will admit looking at incubators LOL. This board so feeds the addiction! I only changed my order once to add 3 more chicks. And today our 13 chicks are being shipped from mypetchicken!!!! We are so excited.

I have my rubbermaid tub, shavings with paper towels on top, feeder, waterer with stones in it, medicated chick feed, lamp with red bulb. I am ready right? [​IMG]

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    You sound completely ready!
    (If your chicks came vaccinated, don't feed medicated feed. Mine were vaccinated at the hatchery.)
    I'm so happy for you!! It is so exciting when the first batch arrives. [​IMG]

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    You sound ready to me. Do you have a screen for the top of the brooder? You won't need it right away but after a week they get this crazy notion that they are supposed to fly. Mine didn't make it out of the rubbermaid tub at 2 1/2 weeks but I've heard of some that have. [​IMG]

You will want to get started on the next part of the project... the PERFECT COOP! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. rhondapiper

rhondapiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha, your story is exactly like mine. My chickens from MPC are supposed to ship today too (and arrive tomorrow I guess) and even though I am overprepared, I'm still on here today rereading and making sure I didn't miss anything!

5. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    They arrived on the noon truck! I was so glad because our temps are falling and we have a few chilly days ahead.
    All 16 are alive and well.

I ordered:
    3 buff orps
    3 EEs
    3 white crested polish
    4 blue silkies

And if you counted you will notice I only ordered 13. They sent 3 packing peanuts. That was a surprise because MPC said they do not send them. There was a heating pack in there as well. They look like perfect yellow chicks. Photos later [​IMG]

6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    You probably got yourself some fine leghorn packing peanuts.

7. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Oh I can't wait to see pics! [​IMG] I was going to order from there but was a little upset about the Shipping (an arm and a leg).
    You were so patient! I bought the first RIRs I saw at TSC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by