The waiting game

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think my chicks are in the mail. They were supposed to be shipped yesterday but have yet to get a conformation on that... And here I sit playing the waiting game wondering if I ordered the correct amount, if they will be alright when they get here as we have had record heat yesterday, and it is still pretty hot today.

So how did every one else survive the wait game?

Me, I keep going on here and learning all there is to know and going out on craigslist, which happens to be a dangerous place to be as I found more chicks about an hour + away from me. Which got me thinking about the poor silkie chicken out in the coop that seems to be getting ignored and wouldn't it be nice if she had a friend or two- so Now I have committed to going on a road trip with my kids to see the silkie chicks and get a few more chicks :>P I also found laying hens which really tempted me as the chickens in the pen are only 14 weeks old and not quite laying.

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Obsessively checking BYC and looking at pictures of peoples chicks, chickens and eggs. Making a chart about types of chicken I got, comb size, color eggs, etc for each breed (which I find very helpful).

Then once they arrived I couldn't take my eyes off them. I took my two weeks of vacation that I'm allotted a year off for when my chicks arrived. It was worth it.

Soon enough you'll have the little fuzz butts of joy. Make sure to post lots of pictures.

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Still playing the waiting game today as well!

4. thefamilyflock

thefamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    East Granby CT
    Hang in there! I hope your babies arrive safe and sound. [​IMG]

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Just got a call from the post office- They are in! When we picked them up they were all perfect and I have given them all sugar water- Looks like they sent us an extra male just because. 36 chicks in all and since I was going crazy with the wait game I ended up calling about silkie chicks from an hour + away from me. The little girl is excited to meet us and give Rachael some pointers for the fair as well as selling us 3 or 4 silkie chicks. We will be going there on Monday.

6. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG] Congratulations! We need pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by