1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The "waste" subject again. Picky birds??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bokkerpop, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Bokkerpop

Bokkerpop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I'm new to this so it may have been answered so please forgive

me. I'm wasting so much food so I put this pan underneath to catch all the food they toss around but now they don't like eating the food that they tossed out! I have six adolescent birds but they're going through like 2 quarts of food per day. Do you see anything in my set up here that could be improved?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Well, you might try raising the feeder up significantly. To roughly shoulder-height on the birds.

3 people like this.
  3. RobertPlamondon

RobertPlamondon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Oregon
    As has already been mentioned, the feeders are far too low. My personal preference is for a feeder to have a much deeper feed pan. The rule of thumb used to be to have troughs or feed pans 6-8 inches deep, and never more than one-third full, to prevent waste. This allows the chickens to rummage through the feed looking without dumping it onto the floor.

Robert

4. Bokkerpop

Mar 23, 2016
    Thanks!! I'll raise it up today and see what happens

5. Bokkerpop

Mar 23, 2016
    Also, Is it ok to pour the stuff they toss out back in my feeding tube? Are they just throwing it around or are they picking through it for their favorite stuff?

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

7. LitaB

LitaB New Egg

Jun 22, 2015
    Northern Maine
    I've had this problem with tubes. My husband put a pipe reducer in the hole of the pipe backwards so the skinny part pokes into the big tube. It forces them to reach in and cant kick it out. Also I use a high sided dish pan inside their coop and add water to it and it makes a mash that they love but aren't as likely to kick out and gives them needed water.

1 person likes this.
  8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I used a u-shaped piece of pipe at the bottom of the upright pipe.

9. LitaB

LitaB New Egg

Jun 22, 2015
    Northern Maine
    You may want to try making the hole smaller. My hens are notorious wasters and the smaller the hole the less they can flick out with their beaks. I looked at your photo of your setup. Ours have a bit of an upward angle to the pipe instead of a 90 degree. That may help some too. I have a pipe without a reducer that I had to stop using because of how much waste. The whole tube would be on the ground within a few hours.

10. Bokkerpop

Mar 23, 2016
    A u shaped pipe? Do you have a picture of that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by