The watermelon addiction

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Aug 17, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    That is really cute. My chickens love watermelon too. Once I took out a half a water melon not cut up and a while after I set it in their run I went back out to find one of the SLW's standing right in the middle of it trying to make sure she got more than anyone else. [​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yet another food I can take to the lake for the more tame ducks (or geese).

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

The Video is NOT long enough..... lol your teasing us.... your babies are very very pretty.... [​IMG]

5. katharinad

I have a crappy internet connection and it takes for ever to get those up. It is either short, or poor quality. So I keep it short. Just a little bit of our daily life.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Cute, they do like melon, can't decide if they like watermelon or cantalope better. DH buys them watermelon and I get them cantalope. Actually which ever is cheaper when we get the urge.

Notice, that it doesn't really matter if you pick out a really good one or not, cause the birds will like it even if we don't.

7. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    My calls are really picky or something....they hardly eat watermelon, peas or corn. I'm thinking that since they've been able to free-range in the evenings, maybe they will be a little more open minded to experimenting with food. Right now, they're hung up on worms and yard things.

The chickens love watermelon, but they love most everything fresh.

8. katharinad

We are only 2 humans in this house. We used to buy the small personal sized watermelons, because we would waste to much with the big one. No longer a problem. I slice, we eat the best part sitting outside and have the beggars (ducks and dogs) watch, and the rest goes to ducks and dogs. Everyone seems to be happy with the sharing concept.

9. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    I could not agree more. It has gotten so bad we can't carry a melon in the house without getting attacked. DW likes to cut the best part and give it to the turkey. I always thought I would get spoiled once our kids moved out. Ha! Darn birds

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  10. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    seems like water mellon is a favorite with any type of poultry [​IMG]
    when i feed it to my hens my goose will patiently wait till their done with the pink part and then she will eat the entire green skin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by