The Watermelon Crawl!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Camelot Farms, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Ookay BYcers....lets see your chickens enjoying a tasty watermelon in this summer heat. [​IMG]

Here's ours...

This is Buri, one of our Icelandic Roosters basking in his own monster melon!
    [​IMG]

And here are our Silkie/Sizzle/Frizzles enjoying thier slice.
    [​IMG]

Now, lets see yours!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, I didn't take pictures - but I wish I could have done so. I was given some "slightly old" watermelon quarters, left over from a BBQ party. Just the next day... and I put 'em out for the chickens. They'd never had watermelon before and they shied away from the big things.

But later in the day, I saw one was nearly gone. And by the evening, both were down to rind. Obviously they were a big hit, after all!

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I noticed mine do that too, when they get something new they freak out and run away and then I come back later and it's always gone. [​IMG]

4. Sorry, the only thing left is the rhines.

Feed the flock this day and I did not even get a chance to go back to the house to get the camera. They just LUV the water melon !!!

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My crew loves their fruit...they devour it too quickly to get pics most of the time. I shall try to get pics of them with it.

6. cleoandtheo

cleoandtheo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh, my girls are crazy about watermelon -- but especially Abigail!

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

8. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Quote:that's adorable!

9. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I want to go get a watermelon now... I have my brooder tub flipped upside down and I'll use it to sit on when I go out into the coop (after scraping off the hens crusty indiscretions). I'll plop a lump of watermelon on it and see what they do!

10. St-Hubert

St-Hubert Chicken Convert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by