the way dogs view cats vs chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by animals1981, Mar 25, 2012.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    has anyone ever had a high drive dog that viewed cats as something to protect but would eat a chicken? we have a new imported dog from solavkia will protect my cat from anything humans or other dogs was wondering if it would be as easy to get this dog to view chickens the same level. It did not take the dog much convincing to see the cat as something it liked and wanted to protect it just licks the cats it will kill a mink or a coyote though.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My dog will chase cats, even ours/his. Dog really likes to chase cats though flock of chickens with two running mammals making chickens scatter like bowling pens. He also licks same cats when cornered in house and will attack other critters chasing his cats.

3. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    is yours a protection dog also? high prey drive?

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Yes on protection dog. Prey drive not employed against cats, rather dominance. Prey drive is directed towards non-chicken birds, rabbits, squirrels and voles. Dog will hunt voles in middle of flock and ignore chickens scatching through what he digs up.

I am not sure how to classify aggression towards something like red fox or coyote as he growls while in pursuit which I do not associate with normal pursuit of prey.

5. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    what breed is yours

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Any dog can be trained to leave the chickens alone.

You don't start by turning him loose unsupervised. Dog on leash, teach him to "leave it". Work him frequently around the chickens and don't leave him unsupervised with the birds until he is well past puppy stage and rock solid reliable.

I've owned a lot of high drive dogs and they all left the birds alone, including 4 breeds of sight hounds who are hunting killing machines.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Bird dog that weighs just over 60 lbs. Loves to hunt but was imprinted on chickens as pup and adult games were allowed to discipline pup when he did get out of hand. Has been unsurpervised with chickens for a year now but has only become a competent guardian against raptors, foxes, oppossums and raccoons in last 6 months of so. He will improve with peak likely realized by 2 years of age next fall. He has shown he will fight a slightly larger pitbull to the point vet bills involved and resulting in no chickens lost. Red fox has proven biggest challenge owing to such critter's propensity to do snatch and run while use fence line as cover. Dog can keep fox out but I will not be able to increase free-range area until either fence made not a source of cover for fox or second dog is in place. My dog can cross fence but not as easily as fox. With second dog each can be on a side of fence and pinch Mr. Fox out and his (Mr. Fox's) zig-zag routine will be useless against dogs every bit as fast as he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by