The "We received our chicks the week of 2/17, give or take" Club

Gingersnap722

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2013
FL
This is a thread so we can stay in touch and post pics of our growing chicks!
woot.gif

Week of March 2! I was supposed to get them a month earlier, but alas, I wanted to add Silver Gray Dorkings and that forced me back a month. Good thing with the weather - and all the eggs in the incubator due a week after the chicks get here.

I am keeping track of the weight of all my chicks. So far they are all gaining, but not all exactly like I had thought they would. I am looking forward to seeing who turns out the biggest, and who reaches their top weight the fastest. Most of these chickens are for our breeding of "chicken nuggets"........except for the Golden Polish, they are just for egg laying and fun.......and the Cornish X of course will be for the freezer.

Yes. That is how we have healthy chicken for our family. Last year we raised 25 Cornish X for the freezer. There its no way for me to get attached to that kind. After a short time they are stinky and not cute AT all. The other chickens well be much harder this year if we have to send some to the freezer. I am glad to have support from the meat bird thread here and my husband is our deed doer. I can do the rest. There are some of our chickens that we have now that are ABSOLUTELY PETS!! I mean they give us eggs......but they are spoiled pets. We like treating all of our animals with dignity and respect........even if they are intended for the freezer. They deserve a happy life.

my soon to be husband would, and im sickened by the factory farmers and the poor animals that have to live ( i say weakly) like that. food approved by our gvt isnt even nutritious for our pets. I envy you.
bow.gif

Well if you have any interest in raising chickens for that just keep it in kind. Do not rush yourself before you are ready. There is a wealth of info here on byc meat threads. That is what worked for us anyway.

my fiancés father was a butcher and he learned young. Right now they are just pets and eggs. I'm naming all 64 lol. With that said it looks like my babies have shipped omg

Back
Top Bottom