the weather and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a stock tank for my ducks I think it is like a 40 gallon or something like that but anyway as the harsher weather comes along I wonder what I am going to do for them. I don't really think there would be enough room for a de-icer. I could break the ice out if there is any that forms in the morning but I am not around during the day as much so if by chance ice does reform over the day do you think the ducks would attempt to get in there or not?

I guess what Iam asking is what is everyone doing to winterize for your ducks and the ways you know work and ways that are best to avoid. Thanks.

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I have a 40 gallon stock tank set up now, and was assured that I could use the de-icer to keep it thawed. Whether or not it will keep the ice off we'll see...

3. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We have an 80 gallon tank. When it got really cold here, 1F at night, I ended up with 6-7 inches of ice that was a real pain trying to break up, so I just left it. Sorry guys. It has been slowly melting now that it has warmed up. I just cracked the rest of the ice off, cleaned and refilled it. Happy ducks! [​IMG] I am just planning on breaking up the ice as often as needed, as it normally doesn't get that cold here. I was thinking of a heater, but it doesn't seem like they work very well. They LOVE their water.

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I guess I will just see how it does and what I can find to get it to work if it don't. I don't know I just want to get an idea in my head of what it is going to be like so I can come up with some solutions before I run into the problems. Does the de-icer for aduckstolemyheart, go in the bottom of the tank or what?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    During the coldest months my ducks don't get to bathe much.

6. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
  7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It doesnt get cold enough to totally freeze the top layer of a pool of water here- but it get close at times. What I do is leave swimming until the weekends- when I am home and have more time to give them a swim. A few pots of water from the hot tap and the rest from the hose ensures the water is warm enough. After 5-6 days with only drinking and face washing water they sure do love to be able to give their whole bodies a good wash.

With a bigger tank- boiling water or carting hot water from indoors really isnt an option - as by the time it was full the water would all be cold. Ducks will still swim in freezing water though... and seem to enjoy it just as much.

8. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My guys were swimming even when the water started to get cold enough to freeze.....I don't get it.....but then they ARE ducks, and I'm not.

9. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have this one also.,,its works great.... was still worried that they would touch the heating element when swimmin so I bought a cheap laundry basket at the dollar store , cut the top half off and wired the tank heater inside it , turned it upside down and sat a rock on top to hold it on the bottom... its been getting really cold some nites and there is NOT a sign of ice in the pond at all. But I still worry when it gets below zero... if the pond stays completely open , do I leave them with the choice to swim or do I make them stay out til its a bit warmer.???? this is my first winter and Im having a VERY hard time worrying about their comfort ... thank goodness for everyone here. Sure helps.

10. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Hattiegun,

What a good idea (the laundry basket)! I was worried about the same thing, them swimming down or touching it. I suppose it does help that it does not run constantly. Will try to rig something like that for myself.

From what I have heard they will swim in it, even if it is freezing cold, and do fine. I think I will probably just leave it up to them as to when and how long they swim. I swear though, I look at them out swimming in 29 F weather and I just SHIVER for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by