The weekender COOP and our "traveling" chickens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by phelpcd1, Nov 26, 2012.

1. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Ok, had to share this coop my husband built - all and I mean all (nails and screws included) were from a few sections of fence someone threw out. We did not spend a dime. The roof is old tin roof from a shack that was on my property. This little coop was needed in order for us to be able to spend weekends or vacation time at my country property. Since we got chickens, we haven't been able to travel since I have no "sitters" around that could care for them while we are away. My country place is not quite a 2 hour drive. We went down a couple weekends ago for the day and hubby built this small coop for them to be housed at night, and we fenced off half the dog yard to keep them in during the day. Well, this thanksgiving holiday was our first time traveling with the chickens! We loaded all 4 of them into a large wire dog crate I have lined with straw, covered with a sheet and secured down in the truck. Can you picture a family of 3.5, 4 dogs and 4 chickens traveling! Was funny to me.............anyway, all of them did soooo good, I was fairly surprised. They acted like nothing had changed. They even laid eggs while we were in the "vacation" spot. When we got home, they acted like they'd never even left. The first night we were gone, they were pitching a fit looking for where to roost at night so we had to put them in the coop ourselves. But then after that, they all 4 marched right to this coop and got in themselves. I'm glad we created a way to take them with us!!! And for FREE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toofarout

toofarout Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Great idea! :D

3. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

i really like the coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by