The weirdest question EVER for this category!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gritsar, Sep 10, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not being an electrician, when my late FIL built this house he put in a minimum number of electrical outlets. Therefore there's rarely a free space on an outlet. My cell phone has to be plugged into the charger in the kitchen. The cell phone is always on. The same outlet that the phone is plugged into also happens to be the only ideal location for my brinsea.

Without taking off your tin foil hats, do you think the low level of radiation that the cell phone gives off could affect hatching eggs in the bator?

Yes it's a weird question but I already warned you it was. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You have to ask that, with all of your mutant chickens? [​IMG]

Imp- yeah, I'm awake. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:How appropriate that the weirdest question ever would be answered first by the weirdest BYC member EVER! [​IMG]

So Imp, you asked for it. [​IMG]

Think I'll go work in my chicken coops now. [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Yes there would be an effect but I dont think it would be enough to matter. If you are worried just put the phone on a iron skillet above the incubator.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They are not mutants. They just have personality issues.

And Imp is not weird. Different maybe, but I don't find that weird.

I'm with Reb. Probably not enough to matter. If you wish, make a tin foil holder for the phone. That probably won't help but it will make you feel better.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

mine sit by my cell phone charger and right across from the microwave.. so my chicks should glow in the dark.. never had any issues with four eyed, three legged chicks yet.. and when I do I shall name him "Blinky"

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I'm a Nuclear Technician, so you can assume I know a little about radiation and its effects after over 30 years in the field. No, any radiation given off by the cell phone, TV, microwave, cosmic rays, electric power grid, and the Potassium 40 in your body does not have any effect on the developing eggs in your incubator. Temperature, humidity, and genetics do. However, in spite of professional advice, you still feel the need to shield your eggs; you can unfold your TinHat and use that for an incubator shield.

8. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Quote:I'm a Nuclear Technician, so you can assume I know a little about radiation and its effects after over 30 years in the field. No, any radiation given off by the cell phone, TV, microwave, cosmic rays, electric power grid, and the Potassium 40 in your body does not have any effect on the developing eggs in your incubator. Temperature, humidity, and genetics do. However, in spite of professional advice, you still feel the need to shield your eggs; you can unfold your TinHat and use that for an incubator shield.

Thank you all for making me smile [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  9. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:ok your phone puts out RF (radio frequencies), and input and output of a cell is (approx) 800mHz and 1.9 gHz, which are too high of a frequency to effectively heat the eggs, and wouldn't even be an issue unless the phone is held against the egg the entire hatch... the people claiming 'supposed damage' of cell phone radiation may have experienced YEARS of continued exposure to RF (and who knows what else) before having any problems. (and it's debatable still whether the phone actually caused those problems or just happenned to be an innocent bystander in the whole mess.) in addition an average cell phone puts out less than half a watt of power, where a microwave (440mHz) runs at 1000 watts or more to be able to cook food.

for that matter you get just as much RF from playing the radio, electrical appliances, light fixtures, etc. I'd be curious to see what kind of RF your incubator/turner produces. 8)

hubby says that the thermostat in the incubator probably produces a good bit more RF than the phone...

here's a link to an article of relevance to this that I found...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by