the whole stop turnign 3 days b4 they hatch is fake

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bandit1988, Jul 15, 2010.

1. bandit1988

bandit1988 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    mine hatched very early and i stoped turnign them at abotu 11:30 pm on tuesday night at 11 wednesday morning i checked the eggs and 4 were piped and now 8 out of 12 hatched so they must get into hatching position fast then i admit i had to help about 3 the membranes wernt piped because i hadnt antisipated they would hatch so soon my last bunch hatched on day 24 so i hadnt uped the humidity only one died in the shell when it was piped dunno what happend to it tho might have suffocated but .. idn the area was red so piped in blood vessel idn

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    What kind of chicks were you hatching if you don't mind my asking?

3. bandit1988

May 21, 2010
    light sussex black rock brown nick all the common egg layers oh and a silkie

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The reason I was asking was the first time I hatched banties I didn't know they hatched earlier than standards so the poor little things never went into lockdown and I just kept turning them until I realized they were hatching. [​IMG] I just wondered if you were hatching banties.
    Believe it or not, my hatch rate was GREAT on that batch.
    Sounds like you are hatching out some pretty neat breeds.
    Congrats on your hatch!

5. bandit1988

May 21, 2010
    thank u [​IMG] my hatch rates been so much higher since i doen the hands off aproach only 7 out of 26 hatched last time and 3 died 1 was crippled other .. drowned .. blame my mother for shoving its beak into the water and the 3rd was a small bantam dunno what breed but jsut got worse and worse wasnt eating right the chick crumb jsut built up on his beak

6. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I was incubating some eggs for a friend recently that I calculated to hatch on a Friday. So I was going to stop turning them on Tuesday. So I was turning them on Monday, and whoops, there was a pip. Seems that the day the eggs were "gathered" was different from the day they were laid , and they had started growing. Ten out of 13 fertile eggs hatched, started on that Monday and ended Thursday. None hatched after that. All that *did* hatch were healthy and strong, needed no help. They were mutt eggs of a large variety. It was fun to hatch them.

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    When they are hatched natuarally the mother hen definitely still turns them. We mark all ours with a magic marker round the middle and they are all turned and resorted and moved from front to back and left to right up to hatching. Once there are a few chicks out they move all the other eggs about as well.

I know nothing about incubator hatching so perhaps there is a good reason, but natural born chickens get spun around all over the place constantly until they hatch (and after hatching too, if they get in mums way).

8. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    so you think this is proof that stop turning eggs 3 days before hatch is fake??

ok then on that assumption i hold this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Magee as proof that you dont need a parachute to jump out of planes and survive [​IMG]

actualy i spose i should qualify what i have posted

you got lucky(ish) and congrats on your hatch, but there is alot of inexperianced and newbie keepers that use and read this board. personaly i dont think putting a title that to stop turning eggs three days before a hatch is due is fake, is a good idea. its the sort of strap line that a newbie heads straight for. a board like this is a great resource but we all owe it to the less experianced to point out best practice and the techniques that work best. it would be a shame to encourage the inexperianced to take short cuts that can and normaly do lead to poor hatches. not having a go expressing an opinion is all [​IMG] and again congrats on your hatch

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  9. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Going to have to agree with Crossed here. An exception to the rule doesn't mean the rule is no longer applicable and making brash statements like this can easily confuse newbies and result in possible lost chicks. It's a good thing yours hatched ok despite pipping early, but you should be accounting how lucky that is rather than touting this occurrence as proof that years and years and years of experience is wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by