The wife wants Chickens...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Coop Dville, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Coop Dville

Coop Dville New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Winnsboro, La
    My wife has wanted to raise chickens for 30 years but we were a Navy family moving every 3 years so starting a chicken project wasn't really in the cards. Now that we have retired from the Navy and returned home it seemed like a good idea to build my bride a chicken coop and us try our hand at it.

We have 5 acres and several out buildings. One building has a 14' roof around 3 sides of it so I built her a coop using the existing roof line. I have it mostly completed and will start on the run next weekend.

The coop is 4x8 the roof runs about 5' in the coop. If anyone has any input or ideas please let me know. I've done a lot of reading but am really going about this on what knowledge I have gained here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    It's looking good. Have you guys discussed artificial lighting for the winter time? Also I would recommend sand in the coop, the girls love it for dust baths and it keeps the smell down.

3. Coop Dville

Coop Dville New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Winnsboro, La

I haven't given lighting much thought but electricity is ran to the building that the roof attaches to so running lights would be no big deal. I have a pile of sandbox type sand (dirt/sand mixture) standing by. It is easy to scratch in and should make dust baths easy.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I personally don't light (my electric source is an extension cord) but the bill isn't that high and I've been running a brooder light for 2 months now. So I might light it up this winter.

Have you decided what breeds you want? Picking the birds is the best part :)

5. Coop Dville

Coop Dville New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Winnsboro, La
    My daughter in law is getting us 2 Red Star and 2 Black Star's that are already laying. I want to add Buff Orpington's and Americana's. Our local Tractor Supply has a shipment of cicks coming in on Wednesday and I plan to see what they get in.

6. Welcome to BYC Coop! Your coop looks great.

7. Peeps4me

Peeps4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It's looking great! Enjoy the new hobby, and remember it's addicting.

8. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    [​IMG] It's looking great! How big will the run be? Nice that you have a building you can work with.

9. Coop Dville

Coop Dville New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Winnsboro, La

The run will be at least 14x16 but I may go slightly bigger. I plan to let them do some free ranging once they know where home is.

10. keith brickhouse

keith brickhouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    yall will enjoy it!! coops looks nice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by