The winged beast came back... & he brought friends. :P

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lizi.beth915, Oct 11, 2011.

1. lizi.beth915

lizi.beth915 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Just thought I'd share with you a story about my day.

I have 15 chickens in my backyard. I have 7 older girls that are just about to lay eggs & some younger ones that are about 9 weeks. My house is on top of a pretty steep hill out in the country. At the bottom of my yard. about 10 feet before you meet the electric fence my neighbor installed for his horses, there are a few pines trees that my birds always love to hangout in when I let them out to free range. I usually let them out right after I get home from school at 2:30, feed them & give them water & all that good stuff. Ever since I saw a turkey vulture roosting on top of the coop a few weeks ago, I always check the sky before I let my babies out in the afternoon, since my dad always scared me by saying "now that he knows where they are... HE'LL BE BACK!" Well, today I guess he finally came back... and he brought friends...

About half an hour after I let them out today, I remembered that I forgot to change their water. So I walk out on to my deck.... and there are not one, not two, not three, & not even four, but FIVE vultures circling lower and lower around the area around the coop where my chickens are. There are chickens going UP the hill, there are chickens going DOWN the hill, there are chickens hiding under the pine trees for safety, & chickens just eating inside the coop, oblivious to the madness. Needless to say, I go into panic mode. I start screaming & yelling & clapping my hands until the vultures go over my neighbors yard. My brother was standing on the porch laughing as I go UP the hill & DOWN the hill catching each chicken one or two at a time, while keeping an eye on those vultures & throwing sticks & screaming in their general direction whenever they got too close.
    So finally, after what seems like FOREVER, I got all 15 of them in the vulture-proof coop, safe & sound. [​IMG] PHEW! I'm exhausted. [​IMG]
    && I have a feeling they're gonna be staying in there where it's safe for a while...

I'm SO GLAD I walked outside when I did! A family friend who used to own chickens told me stories about how the vultures would land on his birds, rip off their heads & just leave the bodies in the middle of their field.. [​IMG]

What an eventful afternoon...

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I have never known vultures to kill animals...

they mostly eat already dead animals...

3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Yeah I never knew that a vulture would eat something that was still moving....

4. lizi.beth915

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Idk. Our friend said that they'd just rip their heads off & leave them [​IMG]
    It apparently happened to him a couple of times.
    I've never seen it happen, but I figured better safe than sorry.

5. lizi.beth915

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Quote:That's what I thought too. I'll have to ask our friend about it again. I just got so scared because there were five of them circling so low over my chickies!

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I think they will kill something wounded or obvisously sick, but otherwise I don't think they will kill healthy animals.

Owls on the otherhand though...will kill in daylight along with Chicken Hawks. Maybe your neighbor thought they were vultures but were really another large bird?

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Dang! Vultures might be desperate enough to go after live food if they couldn't find something dead. Vultures are curious, though. While I never seen them go after my gals, I've had them follow me while horseback riding. I used to tell my husband if he ever needed to find me just to look for the vultures circling-this was before cell phone were invented. Another way us rednecks kept in contact with each other. [​IMG]

8. lizi.beth915

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Quote:Hahaha that's funny. [​IMG]

The only thing on my mind was "AHH FIVE HUGE BLACK BIRDS IN THE SKY!!! I BETTER SAVE THE CHICKENS!!!!"

9. lizi.beth915

Aug 6, 2011
    Harford County, MD
    Quote:This is true. I always thought vultures were kinda lazy, but when I saw a huge bunch of them at once, all right above my babies, I totally thought they were coming in for the kill. I think my maternal instinct just kicked in. lol.

&& that's a good point. I just know the difference because I help teach little kids at an outdoor ed program & the head instructor always says that vultures make a V with their wings & they glide & don't need to flap as much as say an eagle. But our friend might not have know that... lol

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by