1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the wings are HUGE for it's tiny body

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken5555, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

When I bought my goat today, the lady there had SEVERAL one week old chicks of various breeds. She gave me six for free. One is half white leghorn and half lavender Ameraucana. The chick looks SO SMALL for it's wing size! [​IMG]

I think she said the two buff are brahma. The other white is a leghorn. The silver and dark brown are siblings, mother is a barred rock. Let me hazard a guess here... I predict that the silver is a boy (duh, right lol), one buff is a boy, and the others are all girls :)
    EDIT - a barred rock is the mother of only the two chicks. (brown one and silver one)... sorry about any confusion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    With the possible exception of the barred rock mix chicks they are not sexable by color. They are very cute though [​IMG]

3. Chicken5555

You're right, I'm only having a bit of fun guessing the genders LOL

What about those wings though? Is it the leghorn in it that is causing it's wings to grow so fast?

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Not sure but it looks a little like a mini ostrich :D

5. Chicken5555

mini ostrich LOL

The chick seemed to be having a hard time keeping it's wings folded up. I was worried it would get a shoulder twisted and it seemed to have less energy than the others, so I clipped all the long feathers this evening. Fingers crossed that it's new smaller feathers will help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by