The winterized coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by angie3881, Sep 26, 2011.

1. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

New and improved!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And they love it!!!
    [​IMG]

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its still triple digits here!!! You have alot of nest boxes.

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. It looks like yoou have it under control. [​IMG]

4. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Well thankfully, we're down to the 90s now [​IMG] . But I have a friend in Harlan, Iowa so I know that snow is just around the corner up north! I LOVE what you've done with the walls [​IMG] . But I think maybe they're gonna want a pool table and a couple of decks of cards to get them through y'all's long winter!!

Seriously though, my friend is a rural route mail carrier and it floors me how short your summers seem to be! Do you get any egg production through the winter?

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Love your ladder!! Looks like it does a great job of keeping them happy. [​IMG]

6. angie3881

We are having some chilly nights! Down to 40's Thanks everyone, and we will be installing the keg next week! [​IMG] Grandma always said "Use what ya got and you won't go broke."

7. angie3881

Quote:I have a lot of nesting boxes! We had this old shelf in the shop so I converted it! They only use 5 or 6 of them.

8. angie3881

Quote:I don't know yet. This is my first year! Everyone has told me production will go down.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I have a lot of nesting boxes! We had this old shelf in the shop so I converted it! They only use 5 or 6 of them.

My theory is more boxes equals more eggs > LOL

10. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    I've been winterizing my Seattle coop, too. I covered all walls with 1/2 insullation boards and changed the poop area to sand. I cover the sand with news paper and throw out the paper each day (way less mess and smell). I also changed my 3 perches to 2x4s turned to flat side up. My birds love the new perches. Their feet are big and now they have perches that fit, no open air under their toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by