The wipey warmer incubator - genius!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kristenm1975, May 13, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Someone on an earlier thread mentioned that a friend was incubating eggs in a diaper wipe warmer and I had to investigate.

The one I have at work (I'm a nanny) got a good going over, and sure enough, I think it's perfect for three eggs! It comes with what they call a water pillow that you saturate once a week to keep humidity in there, and the temp is nice and low. The top can be popped leaving just a small vent for air exchange, not enough to cool it too much. I haven't had a thermometer in there for a full check, but I think that's the most clever, brilliant solution I've seen in a while. I like it even better than the crock pot method, although I'm actually trying that one this weekend with mixed breed duck eggs from a friend.

Anyone else got any crazy incubator ideas? I'd love to hear them. Even if I never try them, I'm just delighted with people's ingenuity when it comes to using what they have around them to get what they want.

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I was the one that told of my friend doing this. Just make sure you measure your humidity, This seems to be her biggest struggle. She also drilled a small hole in both ends for her air exchange, to keep all the heat that rises from escapingthru the lid area. Although I have been over there when she had the lid cracked a bit too. Good Luck, if you do try this let us know how it goes. As will I, if hers actually do hatch! I will also let her know someone else is /might try this as well.

Sorry about the edit, forgot to say something.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. cacooley

cacooley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I had the same idea tonight. I am now surfing the web to see if anyone else has tried it. I came home to try to assemble an incubator when insaw this in out baby stuff.

4. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    I have been wondering if a person could make an incubator from a food dehydrator. It has low heat and a fan for forced air.......probably just have to make a few modifications.....

Or what about a bread machine incubator? lolol

5. queenoftopaz

queenoftopaz New Egg

Sep 3, 2015
    I have just finished making an incubator from my old bread machine. I have put the first lot of quail eggs in today so really keen to see how everything goes.

6. AmandaGervais

AmandaGervais Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    San Antonio Texas
    I am uaing a baby wipes warmer as well for a duck egg. Today is day 9 of incubation in our wipe warmer and we can see baby moving. I made a thread about it. Peeps Journey :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by