the witches are shoveling their food out!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] the witches( the clan of wyandottes mostly) like to shovel through the feed to get out the boss, and its driving me nuts!!! theyve started this in the last month and relised it must be good gettin' cause its been steady since then! little witches!!!

Should i make a collar to go around the ring? i confess they might have too much space to work with..

any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Can you install thick wire dividers like creep feeders so the birds only can get their heads in but not their feet???? Tie wire on the tube to pan and tie off. That way when their feet hits the bars, they can not kick alot out.

Or raise the feeder a bit higher, about the height of your chicken's backs.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Not sure what all you are feeding from that feeder but I started only putting layer pellets in the feeder ! All scratch and boss (since those are treats) are fed by tossing them out for the gals to peck on the ground! Keeps them busy and saves money on feed bill!

4. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Quote:im not sure what you mean by creep feeders? i was thinking maybe cutting a rubbermaid top to slide down over the pipe with smaller holes in that? but would they lift it up and eat under it? im not sure elevating it would solve it. they are pretty crafty and could just perch on the side probably.

As for feed, this is a premixed feed from our feed store.. 80 pounds for $14 and change.. there is a tag that gives ingredients somewhere out there. i cant find anything cheaper.. and i even tried buying a bag of boss to thwart their desire.. hasnt worked yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by