1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The wonderful world of ORPINGTONness colourings

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MommaOrp, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Ok so i cross bred my black orp roo with my buff orp hen (roo has tinge of gold in colllar, unsure why as he was bred from black x black pure). i hatched 5 out last week, i got 2 black, 1 buff, 1 buff with black stripe on back and 1 black/grey with buff face?!?!? what the?!?!

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My first year I got 5 of the very best Buff hens in my area. Their from a prominant Buff Orp breeder who has made quite a name for himself in these parts. The gentleman who gave me them never had any fertile eggs. He recommended I use my best proven cock, who happened to be an Australorp/Ameraucana mix to see IF infact these Buff girls were capapble of laying fertile eggs. They were, I threw out those eggs. Bought a Buff cockerel who missed the mark and I hatched out 6 from the mix who was jet Black and these Buff girls. I kept this male. He is a 11 lbs cock who I did use and got some neat looking offpsring when taken back to purebred Blacks and Blue.
    You may like to keep one or two and have some fun with them and see what comes out Here is my one mix from a Buff and Black and a couple of his offspring who look like BBR's
    He may not resemble an Orp, and I have been told here to cull him. But I have a few of his solid Black boys who do look like Orps and produce solid Blacks. So taking any offspring back to Black may give you some nice Blacks if the stock you have is Exhibition quality.
    [​IMG]
    Again the offpsring will take after many looks both color and type.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bigger of the boys who are all Black he has thrown
    [​IMG]

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Well i've got to say what a gorgeous boy! IMO if they throw colours like that out, what is right and wrong? i love having unique colouring show up, i suppose its just luck of the draw, i can see myself having issues if i breed to standard but when it comes to mix and match i'm having a field day. My ultimate projects will be GLO and hopefully LF choc orps. Have you ever experimented with these?

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Still got that rooster? He is gorgeous. Wished I could get some of the eggs that he fertilized off you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by