the WORST day yesterday!!! my daisey is gone

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Feb 29, 2012.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    [​IMG]i lost my daisey yesterday to i think a hawk not for sure. all i know is there is a bunch of feathers and she is gone! i am heart broken i feel i have lost a member of my family. i only had the 3. rosey,daisey and petunia. now just my 2. i dont know what to do. i am thinking of getting a rooster for protection for them. should i do that. they free range when we are at home but we put them up when we are not. rosey and petunia just by themselves. seems like they need more. what do you all think? i am so hurt it is hard to watch the others without daisey. i will miss her deeply. i loved her so much. my girls are pets not just egg layers. i could care less about the eggs. i just love them.[​IMG]

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    So sorry this happened...but, yes, I think you should get one or two more. It'll help heal the hurt.

[​IMG]

3. rickswildhorses

rickswildhorses New Egg

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Im dreading the day this happens. I have taken some preventative measures but I know it will happen. Just two days ago I seen a hawk take a dove just 50 yards away from my 15 Buff Opringtons. I have made them places to hide through out the yard and hopefully they can get away any predator. My two Roos are very young and are not much help right now. Sorry for your loss.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm really sorry about your loss of Daisey. Hawks are the most common daytime predators, and roaming dogs are another common day light predator. I'v had a hawk attack even when a rooster is around but they do help sound a warning and may reduce the chances of an attack some if there are convenient places for the chickens to take cover around the yard.

I love my roosters, and I am lucky to have enough space that I don't have to worry about bothering neighbors with crowing. If you decide to get a rooster, those over a year or more old have hormones that have calmed down some and have shown their true colors as far as temperament.

5. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    That's sad ,I'm sorry for your loss,

6. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    A Roo with only two hens..... you will have overworked hens with tore up backs.....maybe getting another hen or two would be the best move.
    When the Sand Hill Cranes come near my coops/runs my Roo's take off to the coop and leave the hens.
    The hens line up along the run fence and growl at the cranes . If you've never seen a Sand Hill Crane, they stand about 4 feet tall. We usually have about 30 of them around here most of the time.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    what kind of things do you have in your yard? bushes ?

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama

9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    yes i thought about just having the two hens might not be good for a roo. just trying to figure a way that my girls can still free range with protection. i think i may have to start limiting their free range to when we are outside with them. thats not really a problem. we are out door loving people. they free range when we are home and a put in their pen when we arent home. we already have them a 20ft pen. we are adding 20 more ft tomorrow. does that sound like a good size? they wont be in it all the time, but i wanted them to have a ton of space for when they have to be in it.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. Great that you have a huge pen for them. Roo might or might not help.He will run 2 girls raggad. I have 6 to my 1.Lol,he is constantly crying hawk that it worries me the girls will ignore him.Every big bird overhead gets a hawk cry from the roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by