1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The worst feeling EVER !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaChic21, Dec 18, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have a broody mom who recently had her 1st egg hatched Dec 16, and just now I realized that there was an egg that has been hatched but not completely. It was right in front of her and I looked at it from a distance with a flash light and all I could see is small egg yolk. Two things came to my mind, either the baby chic got out and underneath her mommy or she ate the baby ( I read that some where). So I asked my husband to remover her from the broody coop and she really got upset. And there was no new baby chic, just the one that hatched 2 days ago. So when he was putting her back, she stepped on her eggs and cracked 3 of them, 1 was bloody. I took the 3 that was cracked and saw a little baby chic's inside [​IMG]. I closed her door and left them alone. Being inexperience caused the mommy hen 3 of her chics [​IMG]. But whatever happened to the one who hatched ?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss... stuff like that happens.... especially with inexperienced broodies.

3. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    we are both inexperience, mother hen and us unfortunately [​IMG] but do you think she might of ate her own baby ? I wonder what happened to her baby chic who hatched but nothing in or out of it, hmm

4. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    She could have eaten it or possibly its hiding. Lets hope that it is hiding somewhere. Good luck.

5. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I couldn't see the baby chic when my husband picked her up. I am hoping she's hiding somewhere [​IMG], but if that's not the case, do you think the other eggs are safe ? If that is remotely possible, why didn't she do something with her first hatch ? I'm so confused and sad [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by