The Worst Hatch Ever!!!

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
First I would like to say hello, as I am new here. A few days ago i had hatched out my first batch of chicks. this is the first time I have ever tried doing this. And more than half of the chichs where born with thier insides hanging out. It was very devastating:( I have no clue what went wrong. I was using a little giant still air incubator, it had an egg turner with it . and i made sure the eggs were getting turned about 3 to 5 times a day. on the 18th day i increased humidity in the incubator and left the lid on it. they started hatching the 20 th day. And like i said majority hatched out like this and then died. I have started eggs again, and hope to have better results. But I still can't figure out what went wrong last time, and if any one can instill some knowledge on me i would be very grateful. Thanks.

I don't have any wisdom to share...just so sorry that it turned out so bad for you. Maybe better next time. Others with incubator experience will be able to give advice I am sure.

--Bird

Hello Alleyoops, It looks to me your temp was too high! You can never trust a thermometer to be accurate, check with another. They original thermometers with those incubator are not that accurate. The temp should be set at 102°F at the top third of the eggs I hope this info will help on your next hatch.
smile.png

Best regards,
nenenick

A couple of good thermometers is the mercury filled ones offered by lyon Electric or the digital probe type offered through brincea!

I have had this happen. Temp is too high by probably a degree and a half and your humidity was also a little high early in the incubation process. The combination will do it everytime.

Thanks everyone I have a different thermometer now. and it reads right at 100 . I am not very convenced that the next hatch will do better. I not very good mommy hen. I geuss I will be able to tell the results by the 25th. Hope this works.

Alleyoops--I have a Little Giant, no fan, no egg-turner. I bought a digital thermometer and a hygrometer because the teensy thermometer included with the incubator is next to worthless. The probe of the digital thermometer is inserted into a "water weasel" and this set-up indicates the temperature inside the egg. The temperature of the water weasel should be 99.5 degrees even though the air temperature is higher.
If you live in a humid area, don't insert the plastic plugs before day 18. On day 18, insert the plugs, stop turning the eggs, and add water to the wells.

water weasels--a children's toy that can be found at Walmart. The stores near me didn't have it so I had to order from www.shilala.com
Stephanie

Thats great I will see what I can find. And no we don't have any humidity. We live In Colorado and up here it is Dry. It can can be raining three days in a row and still not have humidity. just thin air;) anyway realy do appercaite all your guys help with this. I am greatful I really am.

I just hatched my second set of eggs and had the same issues. Almost all are dead. I am not doing it again. I can't take it. Sorry about your chicks. Hope the next hatch is better.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom