1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Worst Hatch Ever!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alleyoops25, May 14, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    First I would like to say hello, as I am new here. A few days ago i had hatched out my first batch of chicks. this is the first time I have ever tried doing this. And more than half of the chichs where born with thier insides hanging out. It was very devastating:( I have no clue what went wrong. I was using a little giant still air incubator, it had an egg turner with it . and i made sure the eggs were getting turned about 3 to 5 times a day. on the 18th day i increased humidity in the incubator and left the lid on it. they started hatching the 20 th day. And like i said majority hatched out like this and then died. I have started eggs again, and hope to have better results. But I still can't figure out what went wrong last time, and if any one can instill some knowledge on me i would be very grateful. Thanks.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I don't have any wisdom to share...just so sorry that it turned out so bad for you. Maybe better next time. Others with incubator experience will be able to give advice I am sure.

--Bird

3. nenenick

nenenick Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Hello Alleyoops, It looks to me your temp was too high! You can never trust a thermometer to be accurate, check with another. They original thermometers with those incubator are not that accurate. The temp should be set at 102°F at the top third of the eggs I hope this info will help on your next hatch.[​IMG]

Best regards,
    nenenick

4. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I will try a different thermometer, any ideas as to what kind to get? I appercaite the help.

5. nenenick

nenenick Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    A couple of good thermometers is the mercury filled ones offered by lyon Electric or the digital probe type offered through brincea!

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I have had this happen. Temp is too high by probably a degree and a half and your humidity was also a little high early in the incubation process. The combination will do it everytime.

7. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone I have a different thermometer now. and it reads right at 100 . I am not very convenced that the next hatch will do better. I not very good mommy hen. I geuss I will be able to tell the results by the 25th. Hope this works.

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Alleyoops--I have a Little Giant, no fan, no egg-turner. I bought a digital thermometer and a hygrometer because the teensy thermometer included with the incubator is next to worthless. The probe of the digital thermometer is inserted into a "water weasel" and this set-up indicates the temperature inside the egg. The temperature of the water weasel should be 99.5 degrees even though the air temperature is higher.
    If you live in a humid area, don't insert the plastic plugs before day 18. On day 18, insert the plugs, stop turning the eggs, and add water to the wells.

water weasels--a children's toy that can be found at Walmart. The stores near me didn't have it so I had to order from www.shilala.com
    Stephanie

9. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Thats great I will see what I can find. And no we don't have any humidity. We live In Colorado and up here it is Dry. It can can be raining three days in a row and still not have humidity. just thin air;) anyway realy do appercaite all your guys help with this. I am greatful I really am.

10. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I just hatched my second set of eggs and had the same issues. Almost all are dead. I am not doing it again. I can't take it. Sorry about your chicks. Hope the next hatch is better.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by