The worst hatchery in the country.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhodeislandredraiser, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhodeislandredraiser

rhodeislandredraiser Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2009
    The worst hatchery in the country!

Beware when buying from Cackle hatchery. In the beginning of sept. I purchased 15 cornish rock chicks from Cackle hatchery. They were shipped out on a tuesday and I did not get them until Thursday. Within 3 days of the time they arrived they started dying. I would notice a weak looking chick with labored breathing within a day or two it would be dead. It is now 6 weeks after the purchase. All of the chicks are dead. Nearly half never grew at all. I have 25 rir (bought from TSC) and 4 heritage turkeys(bought from local feed store. I did lose 1 rir because it got trapped between the wall and card board. I did lose 2 turkeys because the chickens attacked them. I take resposibility for these losses. Cackel hatcheries response is that it must be something I did wrong.

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Were you feeding them medicated chick starter, or something else? How much space did they have? How often did you change the bedding? Were they kept at the right temp?

Cornish Rocks have different requirements than turkeys and RIRs, because they're breed to do nothing but eat and grow. If on the right feed, they should have been gaining about a pound per week. If your's weren't growing at all, something was very wrong. It doesn't sound, however, like Cackle sent problem birds.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Be careful calling down a hatchery like that because of your one bad experience. It could be a number of things, including your own inexperience with the breed.

I'm sorry for your loss .... [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It could have even been that they were injured during shipping. That would be due to the post office, not the hatchery.

5. beegee

beegee New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    In all fairness, I have purchased from Cackle on several occasions and never had a problem. I think it would be worth giving them another try.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    That's odd. When I bought from them, the chicks all arrived healthy and alive. None of them died. They all grew up to be good laying hens.
    I had a great experience ordering from Cackle Hatchery!

7. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

We got 105 chicks and 3 ducks from Cackle and had an amazing experience. Sorry for your losses, but Cackle isnt all bad.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Wow. I am a little shocked with calling them 'the worst hatchery in the country'.

You take NO responsibility with their (cornish rocks) deaths? And you're blaming deaths nearly 6 weeks later on the hatchery?

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    im sorry but 6 weeks in is a pretty long time to think that the hatchery had something to do with it im not pointing any fingers but if the hatchery had something wrong with it they all would have died on the first day or two. im truely sorry for your losses and i hope you find out what the problem was. what was the bedding you used? what did you feed them? did the box that they were shipped in look banged up? there is a lot of questions that need answered to find out what exactly happened. again im sorry [​IMG]

10. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Be careful calling down a hatchery like that because of your one bad experience. It could be a number of things, including your own inexperience with the breed.

I'm sorry for your loss .... [​IMG]

I agree. Sorry this happened to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by