Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
I caught 2 possums in a live animal trap and released them 5 miles from where I live. I lost a baby chick, but read that possums only go after eggs and baby chicks. Neither of the possums I caught harmed or bothered my grown hens at all. I live in suburban Oakland (25 miles east) in a housing tract. Don't know where the possums came from...probably the sewer, though there are acres of vacant land with some trees and bushes about 500 feet from my house.

We don't have coons, opossums, minks, mountain lions, bears, coyote, foxes, eagles, owls, snakes, bobcats or skunks...

The worst we have here is really rats, possums & hedgehogs taking the odd egg, or a domestic cat/dog taking the odd chick. Pretty rare though.
Haven't lost any of ours to anything yet - touch wood - and they free range in the yard. Don't expect to either....

I don't live the American continent so axept of red foxes and some birds of prey we don't have to deal with your predators there BUT we have you deal with this:
תצפית ראש של נמיה (1).jpg

The common or Egyptian mongus Herpestes ichneumon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_mongoose

This predators if it can get in your coop, they will kill ALL THE BIRDS inside. I have a freind that have lost more then 20 chickens in one attack!
Another Israeli forum member in one of the forums I am in, have lost 40 birds including adult peafowls, to 3 of them.

I don't live the American continent so axept of red foxes and some birds of prey we don't have to deal with your predators there BUT we have you deal with this:
View attachment 1115061
The common or Egyptian mongus Herpestes ichneumon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_mongoose

This predators if it can get in your coop, they will kill ALL THE BIRDS inside. I have a freind that have lost more then 20 chickens in one attack!
Another Israeli forum member in one of the forums I am in, have lost 40 birds including adult peafowls, to 3 of them.
Ouch sorry for the loss. That animal/mongus looks a lot like a fisher. But looks mean to me.

:hit:hit I lost one of my young hens their first night in the run to a raccoon. It tried to get a second one through the fencing in ripped his entire leg off. And she didn't make it either. Was the saddest thing ever I don't even like to see a picture of a raccoon

Back
Top Bottom