• Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Pics
I have lost many to hawks. Those sneaky devils. Owls are another problem here. Last year and the year before I lost a couple to a coyote that had the nerve to come in the middle of the day and take his pick of my free-ranging brood. I have an opossum that likes to go in the chicken house and sleep in a corner in the winter and leaves in the morning and never touches the chickens.

I live in norther Minnesota and we have a lot of birds of prey up here. The eagles up here are more interested in fish, but would take a chicken if handy.You have to watch out for them more in the spring.They come back before the ice is completely off the lakes and they'll eat almost anything then.

racoons are bad because they will do just about anything to get to your chickens. weasels are by far the worst because they will kill large numbers of chickens not eat them and there very hard to keep out. they can get thru a hole the size of a quarter.

Alpinefarm - Like your responses to this "predator" thread. Got a bunch of tasty-treats in your backyard, then take the responsibility of protecting them. Don't "blame or hate" predators from "doing awhat comes natrally!" Man's best friend - dogs - are of wolf lineage. Can't blame them either from licking their lips; blame the owners who let their dogs free-range.

I live in very remote area. i have every kind of predator there is in my area. raccoons,weasel,skunk,coyote,possum,mink,owl,hawk, and a few stray cats and dogs. i use to have a huge flock but over the past few months i have lost about 70 or so chickens. i am trying to thin down the predators 1 by 1, so far i have gotten 3 coyotes, 2 possums,4 raccoons,and tonight i got a skunk. i work nights 3 to 4 nights a week so i am limited to alot of trapping but on my nights off i keep my same schedule and stay up all night and check on my flock throughout the night. i usually have a few victor rat traps set for weasels and minks, and a few duke traps for the other predators. if anyone has any other methods of stopping predators. i could use some extra ideas please

Do the huge Victor rat traps really work on weasels? I will get some. Although the electric fence is a pain.. I have lost nothing since I installed it. Have heard some yelps at night tho'
big_smile.png
: Too bad it is just a poke and not something that will nuke a predator back to the stone age
sad.png
So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom