1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Worst Predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Opa, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Raccoon

279 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Opossum

21 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Weasel

42 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Mink

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Mountain Lion

7 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Bear

22 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Coyote

59 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Fox

113 vote(s)
    10.1%
  9. Eagle

7 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Hawk

178 vote(s)
    16.0%
  11. Owl

13 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. Dog

208 vote(s)
    18.7%
  13. Snake

14 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Man

45 vote(s)
    4.0%
  15. Bobcat

28 vote(s)
    2.5%
  16. Skunk

13 vote(s)
    1.2%
  17. Rats

14 vote(s)
    1.3%
  18. Cats

28 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Quote:I wouldn't recommend trying to dispatch them with a head shot. They are less apt to spray with a 22 round through the lungs.

2. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    I have lost many to hawks. Those sneaky devils. Owls are another problem here. Last year and the year before I lost a couple to a coyote that had the nerve to come in the middle of the day and take his pick of my free-ranging brood. I have an opossum that likes to go in the chicken house and sleep in a corner in the winter and leaves in the morning and never touches the chickens.

3. waryyear950

waryyear950 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    I live in norther Minnesota and we have a lot of birds of prey up here. The eagles up here are more interested in fish, but would take a chicken if handy.You have to watch out for them more in the spring.They come back before the ice is completely off the lakes and they'll eat almost anything then.

4. Palm City Peep

Palm City Peep Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Any of you northerners keep chickens in wolverine country? Another kick-ass mustelid that's bigger than a fisher.

5. chickenman2k3

chickenman2k3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    new bedford,mass
    racoons are bad because they will do just about anything to get to your chickens. weasels are by far the worst because they will kill large numbers of chickens not eat them and there very hard to keep out. they can get thru a hole the size of a quarter.

6. Palm City Peep

Palm City Peep Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Alpinefarm - Like your responses to this "predator" thread. Got a bunch of tasty-treats in your backyard, then take the responsibility of protecting them. Don't "blame or hate" predators from "doing awhat comes natrally!" Man's best friend - dogs - are of wolf lineage. Can't blame them either from licking their lips; blame the owners who let their dogs free-range.

7. good ole boy

good ole boy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    sharpsburg, kentucky
    I live in very remote area. i have every kind of predator there is in my area. raccoons,weasel,skunk,coyote,possum,mink,owl,hawk, and a few stray cats and dogs. i use to have a huge flock but over the past few months i have lost about 70 or so chickens. i am trying to thin down the predators 1 by 1, so far i have gotten 3 coyotes, 2 possums,4 raccoons,and tonight i got a skunk. i work nights 3 to 4 nights a week so i am limited to alot of trapping but on my nights off i keep my same schedule and stay up all night and check on my flock throughout the night. i usually have a few victor rat traps set for weasels and minks, and a few duke traps for the other predators. if anyone has any other methods of stopping predators. i could use some extra ideas please

8. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have all but 2 of those predators around. This should be an interesting summer once the new chicks get here. *braces self*

9. bordergurl

bordergurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Niagara Region
    A stray dog killed 75% of my flock for sport two weeks ago.

10. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    Do the huge Victor rat traps really work on weasels? I will get some. Although the electric fence is a pain.. I have lost nothing since I installed it. Have heard some yelps at night tho' [​IMG]: Too bad it is just a poke and not something that will nuke a predator back to the stone age [​IMG] So far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by