Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Pics
Quote:
What people don't know can't hurt them. I know of several people where I live that kill hawks. I wouldnt shoot one for that reason, I also wouldnt kill an Owl because I hardly ever see one, but hawks are everywhere where I live. So many are killed every year, and yet they are still so many everywhere! Not only do they kill peoples chickens, they also put a hurting on the wild rabbit population!

I Live in Southern California And rural route (for thos of you in the High desert area) over in Oak hills cross 395
So we have Great Horned owls, Red Tail Hawk, and Coyote Thats pretty much it cept ground squirrel but they just eat the food and defecate in it so thats what the 22 if for haha
but i Lost my entire flock to a pack of coyotes they came in tore the fence in ripped into the coop........it was a massacre thats when i gave up on the chickens bout 7 years ago now im back into it with a better coop and a GUN lol

Well first of all, for me, I believe that hawks are just part of the circle of life, they have to eat to survive. If that means eating our chickens then I cannot fault them, that would be me like me getting mad at you for eating a hamburger. It is their food.
Of course I do not like it and I try my best to avoid it.
I live on a wild life preserve, my fence is the border, if I ever shot a hawk and got caughht I would go to jail for sure. So it is the survival of the fittest as they say. Live and let live. And yes I lost chickens to hawks and yes I am upset and yes I feel terrible but I am not angry at the hawk.

I've lost 1 hen to a darn hawk. I hate em. My roo tried to save her but it happened too fast
sad.png
but my small rooster was recently attacked by a raccoon, dragged out of the coop...and disappeared for a few days. He came back with no feathers except for his wings and head. He's back has giant lacerations, puncture, abrasion, everything. And it was green from infection. He was nursed back to health. And he's fine Now.
smile.png

That chickenguy: Wow what a story so happy your chicken fought so hard to save herself.

Labaze: Man is not a predator: It is called the cycle of life: hawks kill to survive, man kills to survive. If no one ate animals we wouild be over run by them, even if we did not encourage their growth.

Our friend just told us about a mink killing....I didnt even know we had mink here. Arghh. It was her favorite polish too and the details were awful. Sneaky little critters that can get into areas that maybe larger predators cant fit. It made us rethink our chicken house design.....particularty because it is near the bank of a creek.

I'm new to the chicken raising business, I only have 3 chicks, 7 weeks old. I haven't lost any to predators.
I have kept them in the storage shed but they started pooping a lot more so we made a portable run. This week they figured out to escape when I opened the top to water them. They are now free to run all day. We have mongoose here in Hawaii, which is my main concern. We have a cat but she isn't interested. The abundance of dogs is no problem. There is an orange and white Tabby looking interested in the chicks so I am watching them closely today.

Back
Top Bottom