Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
The worst predator, to me, are other people's pets that are left out carelessly to roam. Especially if said loose pets manage to get over or under the fences of the yard of the person who owns the chickens. Loose "pets" are the worse, because in many cases (such as in our city), they are not allowed to be loose, so any possible chicken casualties (especially those that happen despite the chicken owners having their chickens inside a fenced-off coop/run) are completely preventable, as the pet owners broke the laws to begin with.
I highly agree with that one too. I am in this threads for quite some time now, sharing my point of view about the worst predators ever... And this should be second in my list.

I picked man because I could only choose one. I think humans 1) treat most chickens the worst, and 2) kill the most chickens, both intentionally and unintentionally.

If I could pick several, I would probably go 1)bear 2)raccoon 3)mink/weasel 4)hawk 5)fox.

I have lost the most chickens to foxes and hawks. I have foxes all over my area and if I get home late or don't close the door well enough, my chickens have a high chance of being dead. They always kill a bunch at once, then only take one or two away to eat.

I think hawks have taken the most of my birds (probably 4 or 5 over the years). They are a tough daytime predator to defend against on a large free-range property. I can't put net over two acres. Every time I lock them up they form little picket lines at their fence and start clucking "Give us liberty or give us death!"

Raccoons and minks/weasels, from what I've read, kill the most birds. The problem with both these predators is that they will kill entire flocks in a night, and both can get in coops that the average person thinks are secure, until they come out to find dozens of birds dead. I haven't had this happen to me, mostly because I've learned from other people on here.

Bears are the scariest. When I lived up north they got into everything. Few coops can stand up to a bear attack, and they can come day or night. I'm not scared to chase of other predators, but bears scare the crap out of me.
You are right about minks,2weeks ago I lost all my precious showgirls,the mink pushed through the metal screen on the roof vent on their coop,I've heard of them,now I know,their only good to make a coat,I caught it and shot it once with my 38,but it took 3 shotgun hits to finish it off,skunks are bad too

RACOONS!!! Crafty, atrocious killers.....even killed my old pet cat!
rant.gif

DOGS are second on my list...before I fenced everything in and out.
I was reading along.. oh my... that is an issue.. even your cat you said. you need to adress that issue immediately..

Back
Top Bottom