Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Like I said on the other thread, I believe that the worst predator to have is a bird of prey (owl, hawk, etc.). Most are protected species, so you can't really do anything about it. At least with the other predators you can take care of business.
That depends on the location. we dont have predatory birds here. we do have snakes, rats, and potential robbers. the later by far is the worst. for they can empty out the flock if they want to.

I can respect any predator that kills a chicken for food. That's just nature being nature and it's my responsibility to be smarter than them. But predators that kills for spite, e.g. raccoons and dogs, aren't good for anything but target practice. I've written letters to the last three governors of Tennessee requesting a change in our state animal because raccoons serve no natural purpose.

I can respect any predator that kills a chicken for food. That's just nature being nature and it's my responsibility to be smarter than them. But predators that kills for spite, e.g. raccoons and dogs, aren't good for anything but target practice. I've written letters to the last three governors of Tennessee requesting a change in our state animal because raccoons serve no natural purpose.
I think all creatures have a purpose but like you do wonder about raccoons. This week I have also had a predator hanging around my property that I have never seen up close and personal before, a Bald Eagle. Luckily, my chickens are in secure coops/pens or they would be in serious jeopardy. But it has been exciting to see such a wonderful bird sitting in my large oak tree.

I picked man because I could only choose one. I think humans 1) treat most chickens the worst, and 2) kill the most chickens, both intentionally and unintentionally.

If I could pick several, I would probably go 1)bear 2)raccoon 3)mink/weasel 4)hawk 5)fox.

I have lost the most chickens to foxes and hawks. I have foxes all over my area and if I get home late or don't close the door well enough, my chickens have a high chance of being dead. They always kill a bunch at once, then only take one or two away to eat.

I think hawks have taken the most of my birds (probably 4 or 5 over the years). They are a tough daytime predator to defend against on a large free-range property. I can't put net over two acres. Every time I lock them up they form little picket lines at their fence and start clucking "Give us liberty or give us death!"

Raccoons and minks/weasels, from what I've read, kill the most birds. The problem with both these predators is that they will kill entire flocks in a night, and both can get in coops that the average person thinks are secure, until they come out to find dozens of birds dead. I haven't had this happen to me, mostly because I've learned from other people on here.

Bears are the scariest. When I lived up north they got into everything. Few coops can stand up to a bear attack, and they can come day or night. I'm not scared to chase of other predators, but bears scare the crap out of me.
Yes .man kills sweet animals all time. awful .

We started 2019 with 42 chickens and 3 ducks and in 2020 we now have 5 chickens and no ducks. Most were taken by racoon but a few including the 3 ducks disappeared without a trace . No feathers ,blood or tracks. Our raccoon population has also taken a serious hit but no matter how many I've dispatched more seem to file in...

We started 2019 with 42 chickens and 3 ducks and in 2020 we now have 5 chickens and no ducks. Most were taken by racoon but a few including the 3 ducks disappeared without a trace . No feathers ,blood or tracks. Our raccoon population has also taken a serious hit but no matter how many I've dispatched more seem to file in...
What do you do with the raccoon carcasses when you "dispatch"? Both raccoons and coyotes are able to identify each other by sight and maintain social connections within their local geography. On the advise of a long-time chicken pro, we started skinning both species and hanging the pelts from a tree or bean pole at the edge of our wooded areas. The message always seems to get across. That was nearly a decade ago and now we only have to make one or two kills a year.

Lol...that's exactly what I do. But have been second guessing that aproach . I've been finding the carcass drug out of the woods and half eaten.....not sure if I'm not just atracting more predators.

Raccoons here, followed by mink. Both are far too good at getting into secure buildings, and both will kill far more birds than they will eat.

Lol...that's exactly what I do. But have been second guessing that aproach . I've been finding the carcass drug out of the woods and half eaten.....not sure if I'm not just atracting more predators.

You’re right. A carcass is going to bring more critters around for sure. Hanging the pelt is the key. A carcass has meat on it. No self respecting scavenger is going to leave it alone

Back
Top Bottom