THE WORST SMELL EVER SCALDED AND PLUCKED CHICKEN

LadyAmiz

Hatching
Oct 14, 2019
OH MY GOOD LORD
I Just experienced a pungent rotten bacterial must roll off the chicken. First time and I am ruined #!! Ill Never ever even think about doing that!!
It was SO Bad The Bird ended up in the trash!!!!!!! I mean BAD BAD
Smelled some prior too but once SCALDED and mostly plucked..It was away with it !! And, quickly!! scared it could be harbering some disgusting possibly Contagious Disease!! I MEAN Smelled Horrifcly Foul!
What could be the reason or is this "normal!??"
Thank you
Have a good day

It was your first time processing a chicken? They don't smell good during the process, that's for sure. It gets up in your nose and sticks with you all day. I have pigs so I do chickens a real easy way. Kill, cut off head and feet. Split the skin (feathers still on) down the breast. Peel it away from the legs and cut off the legs. Cut off the breast. Give the rest of the 'package' to the chickens. Gives me two skinned breasts and two skinned legs from each chicken, which is the meat my family likes, and is less trouble.

We only process a small number. This year 8 meat birds. We skin half (no need to pluck). Then the other half is hand plucked w/o scalding. For some reason spouse (the plucker) doesn’t think plucking a few birds w/o scalding is very hard or time consuming. Skin still looks fine (not torn). But results may vary if you are plucking a non-meat bird that has more feathers.

yeah, even live chickens smell sorta bad. Add in hot water and blood, well...you now know.

What could be the reason or is this "normal!??"
I don't find it to be too bad...but I crate birds in wire crates the night before slaughter with only water so their intestines empty and they're are not standing in poop for cleaner feet.

Wonders what kind of bird you slaughtered and what was the temp of the scaling water?

Back
Top Bottom