THE WORST SMELL EVER SCALDED AND PLUCKED CHICKEN

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LadyAmiz, Oct 14, 2019.

1. LadyAmiz

LadyAmiz Hatching

Oct 14, 2019
    OH MY GOOD LORD
    I Just experienced a pungent rotten bacterial must roll off the chicken. First time and I am ruined #!! Ill Never ever even think about doing that!!
    It was SO Bad The Bird ended up in the trash!!!!!!! I mean BAD BAD
    Smelled some prior too but once SCALDED and mostly plucked..It was away with it !! And, quickly!! scared it could be harbering some disgusting possibly Contagious Disease!! I MEAN Smelled Horrifcly Foul!
    What could be the reason or is this "normal!??"
    Thank you
    Have a good day

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  2. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    all chickens smell bad when scalded. We go so far as to change our scalding water 1/2 through the day so it doesn't smell as bad.

123RedBeard likes this.
  3. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    It was your first time processing a chicken? They don't smell good during the process, that's for sure. It gets up in your nose and sticks with you all day. I have pigs so I do chickens a real easy way. Kill, cut off head and feet. Split the skin (feathers still on) down the breast. Peel it away from the legs and cut off the legs. Cut off the breast. Give the rest of the 'package' to the chickens. Gives me two skinned breasts and two skinned legs from each chicken, which is the meat my family likes, and is less trouble.

BirdsBeesTrees and NHMountainMan like this.
  4. NHMountainMan

NHMountainMan Crowing

Feb 25, 2019
    New Hampshire
    My Coop
    Try putting a few drops of dawn/ dishwashing soap in the water. Not sure how it works but it made a big difference for me.

5. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    I put a few drops of dawn in the water. it helps cut through the oil in the feathers, allowing the water to reach the skin. Try it w/o the soap and you can tell a difference.

6. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    We only process a small number. This year 8 meat birds. We skin half (no need to pluck). Then the other half is hand plucked w/o scalding. For some reason spouse (the plucker) doesn’t think plucking a few birds w/o scalding is very hard or time consuming. Skin still looks fine (not torn). But results may vary if you are plucking a non-meat bird that has more feathers.

yeah, even live chickens smell sorta bad. Add in hot water and blood, well...you now know.

BirdsBeesTrees and NHMountainMan like this.
  7. ThracianHorse

ThracianHorse Songster

Aug 19, 2010
    Washington State
    Butchering isn't a clean or smell-absent process.

BirdsBeesTrees and 123RedBeard like this.
  8. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Sounds like you threw out a perfectly good chicken!

Was it a cornish cross? As they tend to sit around in their poop more, and can get stinky ... a quick "pre-wash" in a bucket of luke-warm water with dish soap will help ... poop stinks! ;)

aart, Acre4Me and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't find it to be too bad...but I crate birds in wire crates the night before slaughter with only water so their intestines empty and they're are not standing in poop for cleaner feet.

Wonders what kind of bird you slaughtered and what was the temp of the scaling water?

10. VanUnamed

VanUnamed Chirping

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    Yeah they do smell funky. You clearly haven't smelled pig manure on a garlic twice a day treatment :D

Trimurtisan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: