1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The "You Just Made My Day" Challenge

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HorseFeathers, Sep 16, 2009.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    There are so many nice people on BYC, I thought you all would like to consider this.

The "You Just Made My Day" Challenge is simple. Do one thing every day to make a random stranger's day. It can be anything from saying "hi" to a stranger, to telling some lady at the supermarket that you like her hat, to giving a homeless person food or money. Every little thing could save someone's life. This is a plan that I came up with after hearing the following story in school:

A high school student was walking home one day when he noticed a girl in his grade crying. He didn't know who she was, but just the same, he smiled at her and said, "it's okay." Then he walked home.
    When he got there, there was a message on the answering machine. It was the girl who had been crying. She said that he had saved her life. She was crying because she was planning to commit suicide by swallowing an entire bottle of painkillers when she got home. She was planning this because nobody was nice to her at school (yes, I think it's a dumb reason too). The boy had literally saved her life, just by smiling at her.

So. Do you want to take the challenge? Just do something nice to a total stranger at LEAST once daily for a week. It gives back to you- not only does the stranger feel good, but you do too. I've been doing this for about a week and it's very neat.

If you want to participate, post below. Then update us at the end of the week... if you like it, shoot for a month, then a year... all the way through your entire life.​

2. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    The last random act of kindness I did was when I had just gotten paid. The lady behind me was in her minivan with her child strapped in. She looked stressed and from the sounds of it, she probably was hungry for lunch but only ordered her child a healthy happy meal (apples instead of fries, etc). When I got up to the window I told the lady that I'd paid for the minivan behind me.

Maybe I misunderstood the signs, but I felt pretty good - the lady hollered up to me a huge thank you.

I also like doing the 'drive by' random compliments... i.e., I was at Target this weekend and a lady in front of me seemed down. I had been eyeballing her watch - it was so pretty and so before she could get to her car I said "excuse me ma'am" and told her how beautiful her watch was. The smile on her face was all I needed to make my day a happy one.

[​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    When I was in church last week, I sat next to a young girl in that awkward pre-teenage growth phase. She sang very enthusiastically - a little too loud, a little off tune, but not bad - when she gets older she'll have a really nice voice. I could tell she loved to sing. When mass was over I told her that she sung very well and that I enjoyed listening to her. She beamed. [​IMG] I thought any injection of confidance at that awkward time in a girls life would do her some good.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Well, I don't know if it was better for him or for me really but I just called up my son's dead-beat dad, told him I forgive him for not paying his child support for the last several years, told him no I'm not going to sue him etc. now that Steven is about to turn 18, told him that I expect him to man-up if he ever does get a job or money. I know he feels good right now, and it's a weight off of me too.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I really thought more people would have posted on this one.

A fellow teacher made my day this morning, she brought me 3 boxes of Price of Wales tea from San Antonio!!

6. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Me too!

I'm having one of those days where I need to be the recipient of a "drive by" you just made my day...day. [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I accept the challenge. It will be fun to look for opportunities during my lunch break in town.

8. centavo71

centavo71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern Alberta
    I accept the challenge! Next time I am in town I will look for opportunities and report back here!

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Much better!! Also my class is doing their annual food and clothing drive early and we just sent out 3 paper boxes full of food to two families! I'm glad HorseFeathers started this thread!

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll be keeping my eyes open for an opportunity today. Thanks for the challenge!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by