The "You will be able to tell that I am new to peafowl" question.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by WildeCollection, Apr 29, 2017.

1. WildeCollection

WildeCollection New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    If I have a white peacock and an Indian Blue peahen of a Black Shoulder peacock and a white peahen, is there a risk of getting pieds? While pieds are interesting, they look to me as if someone accidentally spilled bleach on them! it is not something I am looking for.

I read another thread and didnt quite understand.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    To get 100% pied peachicks you must make that cross !
    Male = Blue dark pied and femqle = white ... or the opposite !

[​IMG] X [​IMG]

3. WildeCollection

WildeCollection New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    So at least one of the parents HAS to be pied in order to get a pied? What color would chicks be from a white male and Indian Blue female make?

4. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    All the peachicks will be BLUE color and genetically split White.... but totally BLUE !

To make pied birds you need one gene Pied and one gene White. The dark pied peacock has 2 genes Pied and the mother (white) has 2 genes white. That's why those birds produce 100% of Pied peachicks.

5. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    Dany12 is correct. You will never get pied birds from breeding a regular IB or IBBS to a white. The pied gene must be present for a bird to breed pieds. Pieds are also different in that they do not produce only pieds. The 1:2:1 ratio is used with pieds and silver pieds. Pied+Pied= White, Dark Pied, and Pied. Pied+White= White and Pied

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by