Their Crop? HELP!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by GuineaLady93, Sep 12, 2011.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Ok, I don't know much about guinea's crops being impacted but I am pretty sure that is why one of my 4 month old keets died the other day. Her chest was a lot bigger than usual and she acted like she didn't have any energy and she was puking a lot. Well today when I was taking care of the keets that are around 1 1/2 or 2 months old I picked one up and his chest was really big just like the other ones was. He didn't act strange or anything but his chest was Really big. It felt like his chest had been blown up with air or had a bunch of water in it.
    What can I do to fix this problem?? Why is this happening?? How serious is it??
    PLEASE help! Any advice???
    Thanks,
    Ashley

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Are they eating anything besides game starter or game feed? Never have felt my guineas crop, but they arent into snugglig with me like some of my chickens are.

3. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:The only thing they eat is Purina Start & Grow.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    try posting this in the emergency section- then folks will see it

are their crops empty in the mornings?

5. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Not sure, I will check and let you know.

6. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    I would suggest some fine granite grit to go along with their feed. Helps to break down anything that stays in the crop. Might help, might not but it's worth a try.

I feed mine meat bird crumbles, scratch, fine granite grit and every other day a few handfulls of plucked clover, grass and dandylion leaves.... so far so good.

~Tammy

7. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop

This morning I check on them and they were defiantly not as big as they were yesterday evening. There was one that still had a pretty big chest though, I gave him a little mineral oil and then I mixed a little bit of molasses with some plain yogurt and mix that in their food (Purina Start & Grow). and only gave them a little bit of food.

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK

This morning I check on them and they were defiantly not as big as they were yesterday evening. There was one that still had a pretty big chest though, I gave him a little mineral oil and then I mixed a little bit of molasses with some plain yogurt and mix that in their food (Purina Start & Grow). and only gave them a little bit of food.

is there a chance their feed is wet? i am wondering if there might be an issue there? also, if you have any apple cider vinegar(organic) put a little in the water, that might help a little

9. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    If you aren't feeding them free choice and just putting feed out AM & PM for them, then they are going to gorge themselves at each feeding, eating a lot all at once and filling (even over filling) their crops making it more obvious to you. 8 wk olds still need to be fed free choice IMO. Are they maybe eating the bedding in between feedings? Make sure they have access to plenty of water and grit free choice, and I'd also offer them some chopped greens/grass and shredded carrot.

10. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:This morning I check on them and they were defiantly not as big as they were yesterday evening. There was one that still had a pretty big chest though, I gave him a little mineral oil and then I mixed a little bit of molasses with some plain yogurt and mix that in their food (Purina Start & Grow). and only gave them a little bit of food.

is there a chance their feed is wet? i am wondering if there might be an issue there? also, if you have any apple cider vinegar(organic) put a little in the water, that might help a little

Nope, there is no chance of the feed being wet. I keep it in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by