their dropping like flies!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrbunker, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mrbunker

mrbunker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    Looking for some advice. We have lost three chickens in the last few days with two more that I don't expect the make it through the night. Our 9 mo old rooster was the first to go two days ago. He hung around the coop more than usual the day before he died and then the next day he had very labored breathing and was gone by afternoon. Today I found a two 4 mo old chickens dead in the coop. The two who are sick show the following symptoms: lethargic, eyes closed, one has difficulty walking (looks drunk), not eating, drinking sparingly, water like stool. I noticed some bloody stool in the coop, not sure of the source.

Our chickens free range during the day, but have been in lock down since our roo went down. When free ranging they have access to the vege garden and our two turkeys. Recently put some sluggo in the garden. Also day before roo died I cleaned the coop and started a new bag of feed (grower). All were hatched in our incubator and not vaccinated [​IMG].

Marek's ?
    Coccidosis ?
    Bad shavings/food?
    Sluggo?
    ?????

Just looking for suggestions to stop this cycle. Kids love gathering eggs, but gathering dead chickens is a drag!! Thanks for any help!

megan

2. 1776

1776 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Just wondering, what were you feeding them before the grower feed?

3. mrbunker

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    Same feed, just new bag. Thanks for the speedy reply!

4. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Sounds like it could be cocci. From what I've been told treating with Corrid cannot hurt, but if it is cocci it will help. Hope that helps...

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Cocci or internal worms. Check their butts for maggots.

6. mrbunker

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    Should I treat the whole flock with Corrid? How is that done?

Would the maggots be obvious or take some thorough inspection?

thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. mrbunker

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    Well... I feel like quite the inadequate chicken keeper!!! After doing a bit more research, I'm thinking we may have multiple issues. First, lice/mite infestation. A few of my older hens are missing feathers on their backs. I assumed our roo was a bit rough but now I'm thinking otherwise. I would like to treat for lice/mites as well as worms. Does any one have recommendations? Seems like ivermectin would take care of everything, however I have read that starting with a less potent worm treatment such as wazine may be a better idea. Maybe, wazine and a sevin treatment followed by a ivermectin in a ~10 days.

I look forward to some guidance from experienced chicken farmers! I have ALOT to learn...

8. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    That sounds like a sound plan. For lice/mites - you do need to retreat in 7 days though or the cycle will begin again. Also be sure to change all the bedding and treat the coop with sevin at 7 day intervals as well. I've had mites that didn't respond to poultry dust or seven and I ended up using the Ivomec. Ivomec has a withdrawl period though unless it's the eprinex type. You shouldn't eat the eggs for I think it's 10 days.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-5/Laura_E_John.html

a few links on lice/mites

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I like dusting mites and lice with seven first...it kills them pretty much immediately and doesn't seem as harsh to them. I do also use the ivomec pour on sometimes...but to really knock them out fast I like the seven.
    sharon

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Oops missed your comment about wazine and seven first then the ivomec in 10 days....that seems most efficient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by