Their eye is shut!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kbagwell1, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I have a hen and a rooster that have one eye shut...it looks alittle swollen but no other problems. They are eating and drinking, pooing, mating, etc. We just noticed this, this morning. What is it? Anyone have any idea why their eye would be shut and swollen? Like I said, they are acting completely normal.

Please someone help me ASAP! [​IMG]

2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Watch it overnight. They could have just gotten pecked in the eye by another chicken. If not, then they might have an infection. I would just watch their eyes for now and make sure nothing nasty is coming out, like pus. Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    if you have some neosporin without pain relief, you could also spread some of that around the outside and even a little inside gently..

4. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Is Neo with pain relief safe for the eye? I bought without just in case but wasn't sure.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I said with out too if you'll look at my post again, good thing you got the right stuff, hope it works.

6. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Ooops sorry, you sure did. I had the WITH pain relief in my hand and thought that might not be a great idea and grabbed the plain one instead.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    good for you sometimes those nudges are meant for us to listen. please let us know how they are ..

8. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    So they both seem to be the same today! Still acting as normal as ever!! [​IMG] Hopefully they just got a little dirt in their eye or maybe got scratched!!!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    great news [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by