1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Their first grit and treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cherig22, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I swear, as I get older, I get more forgetful. I cannot remember what I did with my chickens when they were young. [​IMG]

I have 8 week old chicks, which are HUGE, and ready for treats. I bought a bag of granite chips (just remembered, lol, I screened some granite at work for my older hens when they were chicks, and I was cheap) at the feed store, do I need to screen it for smaller pieces?

Or can I just put it in and they will eat the right size pieces? I only wonder if they know what size to eat, or do I need to be the judge of that.

Thanks,

Cheri

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Just put the grite for them and they will pick exactely what they want, I have also young 10 to 12 weeks pullets and I am doing the same for them,I have seen them eating what they want.

Omran

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I have been feeding my 1 week old chicks yogurt and eggs is that okay? when do i start giving them grit?

4. cherig22

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I have read that 5 weeks is when you can start. Mine are 8, but they are growing so fast I am afraid to feed them treats, lol.

Cheri

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Their starter food takes care of that. As they get older and progress to the other feed, you will need to give them grit... Grit and shell are for different purposes also. If they are getting outside time to pick up little pebbles and stuff in the ground, they will supplement what they need with the grit you provide. I recommend getting chick grit for the younger ones because it is crushed much smaller and is suitable for them.

Grit they use to grind their food and aid in digestion. The Oyster shell can act a bit like grit but it adds the calcium they need for strong egg shells. No need to give them oyster shell or a calcium addidtive until they start laying.

My girls got treats at 2 weeks old...scrambled egg, yogurt, cooked oatmeal, green veggies cooked and their favorite steamed brown rice. It does not have much nutritional value but they love their rice. Just remember they are being given a treat and still keep their food available to them free choice.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:they make also grit for baby chicks, TSC carry it. and on the bag itself they tell you the instruction.

Omran

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, that's fine. I fed my chicks in much the same manner that Cetawin talked about.
    Grit is needed to grind food. If all your are giving them besides their chick starter is the egg and yogurt I wouldn't worry about the grit just yet.
    The only problem you can run into with feeding the young'uns treats is that it's so dang cute you end up giving them too much at the expense of their starter feed. Consider their feed as their balanced diet and the treats as dessert, in moderation only.

8. cherig22

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Memories are slowly coming back.........lol.

I knew I had used chick grit, I got it in another town, far,far away.

I was at my local store and could not find it. Guess a road trip this weekend is in order.

Thanks!

Cheri

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I got a surprise on christmas day mama hen had her hidden so I figure she or he???LOL is about 2 weeks old and doing nicelyy on hard boiled eggs untill I can get to TSC and get the dumor chick starter. which all my others loved.But havent given her any treats yet.
    alo a little of hartz gravel'n Grit . for now, its super fine.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. cherig22

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    With my flock, I am the Treat Queen! [​IMG]

I give the older ones all kinds of stuff, sprouts, sweet potatoes (my cat ate more than the chickens [​IMG] must have been the butter), peas, corn, lettuce, etc.

It is just so much fun to see them go crazy over food, lol.

Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by