Their first night out!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Junior112, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Okay so I'm new to owning chickens and its my three little girls first night outside! I added a sick for then to roost on but they huddled in the corner instead. Are they too hot or too cold I'm in socal and its 75 @ 9:15 p.m. I'm so stressed out. Any ideas?[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dunedin

dunedin Chirping

Jun 29, 2014
    They are probably just a bit scared of the new digs and like that nice warm secure corner. How old are they? They look well enough feathered to be outside. Dont worry mama! You have a good setup.

3. dunedin

dunedin Chirping

Jun 29, 2014
    If they get too hot they will move away from the lamp.

4. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    @dunedin it's papa lol but they'll be 7 weeks old and spend most of the days outside. This morning as soon as I opened it they jumped out. However they seemed happy..

5. Peeps61

Peeps61 Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    They'll start using the roost too. It just takes them a little bit of time to get acclimated.

6. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Do you think they need to be boxed in? Or cab I leave it open? I want then to stay warm but if they get hot or want water or food I want then to be able to get it. I only close then on at bed time.

7. Peeps61

Peeps61 Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I live in NW Florida, and when I put my chicks in their coop for the first time, they actually slept out in the run the first few nights. It wasn't until I put a light in the coop that they started going in there and sleeping. I never closed the door on them because I had secured the run pretty well ( the latches had snaps on them to keep raccoons, etc. out.) I would not worry about closing the door on them unless it gets really cool where you are at night (like 50 or less).

8. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Im not worried about the weather or predators. I was trying to associate that as their "bedroom." If not the huddle in the front corner of the connected run. I think I'm going to start "roost training tonight."
    Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  9. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Also can anyone tell me what she is? The store said Amerucana but I have my doubts. Especially since she looks like an easter egger I've seen on here![​IMG]

10. CollegeChicken

CollegeChicken Chirping

Jun 3, 2014
    its probably an Easter Egger..meaning a mix breed most likely containing at least 50%Ameraucana ...Easter eggers are not a breed in themselves... Technically they are a hybrid....furthermore TRUE ameraucanas are not that common in the USA. Im not saying theyre rare necessarily but a lot of unscrupulous sellers get pretty sloppy when it comes to Ameraucanas, Araucanas, AmeriCANAS, Easter Eggers etc if you know what I mean.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: