Their trying take our chickens away with crazy laws. eden nc.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by chickencity, Feb 16, 2009.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    i got a knock at the door today and it was news repoter wanting to know my oppinons about the new chciken law.....i knew nothing about it. she said that the new law states that all chickens and brids must be kept inside the residence of the owner!!! they said that they got to many complaints about chickens being nosiey and smelly. i asked them if they would like to see my chickens. they took multiple pics and worte down a bunch of facts, one being that they never hread or smelled my chickens and wouldn't have know they were there if i didn;t show them. i called several people after they left and no one new about it! i went to city hall to confrim what i was told and its ture. they want all brids chickens included to be kept in the home. when i told them that no one in their right mind would keep a flock of chickens inside their house their response was "excatley" so i said..what you mean is that no one can keep chcikens but with out having to say those words. and what your saying is that i can no longer feed my family or help the community b.c i just donated 100 eggs to a church to give to a few families that were out of work. and all she said is that im allowed to attened to the metting tmorrow but i have school. what should i do about this.....this is comptley worng that there going to punish everyone just b/c a few people cant keep there chickens clean. what about the grandfather cluase?

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I would get together all my friends and neighbors and fight them!

3. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    i need some helping thinking of points to bring up to show that chickens should not be banned from being outside.

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Not as loud or dangerous as dogs
    Don't kill wildlife like cats
    Produce food
    Control bugs
    I am thinking give me time! Hope someone eles chims in

5. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Contact Andy, the Chicken Whisperer on this site. He has lots of info.

6. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Also, check on whether or not you are grandfathered in and what NC's "right to farm" laws are.

7. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Crazy indeed!

Best of luck - get on the reporter's good side and go for it!

8. AboutSixPounds

AboutSixPounds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Northern Piedmont, NC
    I saw your post on Craigslist about this. So ridiculous! First they revalue our properties in Rockingham County way over true market value so they can collect more of our tax money to waste on pet projects, and now this? Considering that the unemployment rate here is 10.1%, you'd think our local officials would have other things to worry about. Seriously, this is enough to make me move to the mountains once and for all.

Here's the link to tonight's meeting agenda. The proposed change to the ordinance can be found under item 10(b), right after banning sex offenders in the park.

http://www.ci.eden.nc.us/council-minutes/FebAgenda.htm

9. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    A news reporter from wfmy news 2 was just at my house. he got my oppinons on the new law and video taped my chickens. he showed how the coop was clean and the chickens were fenced in. he also noted that the only thing he hread were dogs. it should be on the news tonight eaither at 5 or 6pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by