Thematic Names?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Sep 2, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are all named after family members: "auntie shannah, Nonna, Uncle Devon...etc.", but my ducks are not. They are named Princess Pekin Love, Spring, Summer, Black Duck, Dorothy and Cute. Are most of your animals theme related? What kinds of themes, what kinds of names?

2. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    Most of my ducks are named after family members....Zoodie, Zell, Lionel, Elsie, June...one is named Bug, just because I like it, and it went with June [​IMG]

3. duckface

duckface Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    Yes! Let's see, the horses are Stella and Luna (after the children's book); the two little dogs are Opal and Jasper (precious stones); big dog is Ace and my husband will be getting another pup in the spring and I've suggested Duece:D; the rabbits are Cookie and Oreo; the goat is Domino and his friends who we don't have anymore were Checkers and Puzzle. The cats are the only ones whose names don't go together, Magnum and Tigger. Then the ducks are Splish, Splash, Puddle, Paddle and two more whose names are still pending. [​IMG]

4. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Many of my chickens are/were named after colors Vermilion, Crimson, Azure, Violet, and our little peep Indigo who hatched friday.
    My silkies WERE a pair Yin and Yang. And the roosters in our freezer include (all with the last name Chicken) Bourbon, orange, lemon, and teriyaki.
    My room mate names all his pets astrologically (Pisces the beta, Luna and Vega the ferrets, etc.)
    My pets tend to be gods, angels, or demons (Loki, Azrael, Metatron, Nazul, and others)
    I am really theme oriented with names.

5. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    My chickens are all Cochins. They have large "breasts" so I named the roo Hugh (Hefner) and call the girls Miss January, Miss May, Miss August, Miss April, Miss October, Miss June and Buffy(my son's EE). All these months are significant to me, children's birthday's, anniversary etc. Won't know what to name my duckling until they get here. My goats are Grace and Joy. My Russian Tortoises are Borris and Natasha.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Our 2 ducks are Ritz and Graham Quackers!

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I got khakis in March and one of them had a ring around her neck. Not knowing what sexes I had, we named the ringed one Ringo and then what followed were George, Paul and John. Seemed obvious. Ringo turned out to be female, but the others did turn out male. I still call her Ringo ;-) I also have a male rouen and female pekin, Sonny and Cher.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    When I got my first three ducks, I named them Jack, Janet & Chrissy (3's Company). When I later picked up a buff from a 4-h kid, I named it Lana...another 3's company character.

Janet died, Jack & Lana were sold, I hatched a couple of eggs, and bought some new ducks, so the 3's Company thing didn't work anymore.

I did go back to a theme with my Welsh Harlequins since I got 3 girls at one time. I named them Bebe, Wendy & Shelley after one of my other favorite tv shows...South Park. When I picked up a WH drake last week, I stuck with theme. He was a little wild, a little flighty and shy, and has a really interesting drake "quack"...so he got named Tweak.

(We originally thought he might be a Stan or a Kyle, but he was too spazzy for that. Hubby wanted to name him Butters and I was leaning towards "Professor Chaos", but he really is a Tweak. His raspy squeak is high pitched and he DOES sound like South Park Tweak! "ACK!" LOL Hopefully we can protect him for marauding Underpants Gnomes [​IMG] )

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

most of mine have some sort of theme - many of them are movie characters (I have a Chicken George, a Miss Celie, etc...)

My favorite chicken, however, is named Miss Purdy Poopscratcher - no theme there, just descriptive of her favorite pastime out in the calf pasture [​IMG] and Purdy, cause she is a Puuurrdy chicken [​IMG] .

meri

10. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    My folks raise pigs for the freezer, and IF we named them, it was always Pork and Chop, Ham and Bacon, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by