Then there were three

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cantona, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Cantona

Cantona New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    Our chicken journey started 14weeks ago with nine unsexed two week old chicks.
    4 Sussex Buffs, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks and 3 Rhodies.

When we woke up last Saturday to crowing, we knew it was time for the guys to go.

So as of today I have three pullets, luckily one of each breed, and what feels like a very empty garden.

What I have learned over the last 14 weeks.

Nine free ranging chickens create more poop in a standard sized back yard than you can possibly conceive.

If you want your chickens to stand in a mob at your patio door knocking like some crazed zombie horde, feed them cheese occasionally.

Sussex Buffs are the neatest, sweetest chickens you can imagine.

I really like roosters.

And finally my backyard will never not have chickens in it from this day on.

Luckily I have managed to find good homes for all my boys which does make saying goodbye considerably easier.

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    ive had to give away some pets of mine(including a cat i liked very much) and it is true, knowing theyre going to a good home makes it easier...
    btw...welcome to BYC

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC. Yes, chickens can make a mess.

4. Cantona

Cantona New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome, the information on this site has been invaluable.

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Hey, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. roohugger

roohugger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    natal south africa
    welcome to BYC. you made me laugh. my chooks also wait on the verandah by the back door for food and poop everywhere. My rooster has even learned to at any time of the day stand on the welcome mat and crow INCEASANTLY until i open the door and feed them. its not seed they want. leftover rice and bread they are looking for! And I agree I love roosters too!

7. Cantona

Cantona New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Sounds like you have a smart roo!

I think we might have gapeworm in our RIR today, I found her gasping and hissing today obviously in discomfort, it doesn't look like she has any blockages or crop problems.
    I have dosed all the girls with Aviverm, fingers crossed she is better in the morning.

8. roohugger

roohugger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    natal south africa
    What is gapeworm ? I have not heard of it before. The only trouble I have had is lice and those nasty mites that if not dealt with make the legs crusty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by