Then there were two.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pullorroo, Dec 11, 2008.

1. pullorroo

pullorroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    Lost my first hen today to a neighborhood dog.... Felt as bad for the dog owner who witnessed it, as I do for myself, my husband, my kids, and the two remaining hens.... and our dog and cats....

My main concern is that there are only two to snuggle up on the roost, and our coldest days of the year are expected this weekend. Granted, we do live in a mild climate here in Northern CA, but I was not planning on giving them any artificial heat.....

I was thinking I would wait until spring to add to our measly flock.... will my pair be alright without their fearless leader ?

heartbroken, with a full tummy ( didn't want to waste her ! )

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I feel bad for the murdered hen - the utter terror and pain she had to endure before dying - not for the dog's people. They were irresponsible letting their predator near your birds.

As to the remaining two, depends how bonded they were with the now dead hen. It will likely be hard on them. I usually just have 2 at any given time and the bond is so strong. Hen Ellie was attacked by yet another irresponsible person's dog last week and her buddy BJ was devastated. Ellie is still alive but BJ was inconsolable while she was in the hospital - they are reunited now but she has a long recovery ahead of her. As to keeping warm with just 2, truly depends on your conditions there. I have an insulated coop and I do also have heat - my 2 birds don't make much body heat. It can get very raw and cold here but maybe not where you are...
    JJ

3. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sorry! I don't know, how cold is "cold" in CA? In MI, single digits are cold, in TX, 40 degrees is cold.

4. pullorroo

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    Thanks for your sympathy... as for the dog, he was on a public trail next to our property, it was the chickens who were on the wrong side of the fence.... I had assumed naively that not clipping their wings would be safer for them... now I think I need to clip wings to keep them safe in our yard....

As for our temps, we rarely drop to freezing.... would love more thoughts on this !

bereaved chicken lady

5. pullorroo

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    oh... and fortunately Tallulah's murder was a quick one... I don't think I would've been able to handle it if she were flopping around injured....

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    it was snowing weather here, i have bantams.. wire pens. (but plastic around the back/sides to keep the wind off them), Pair to a pen. and they are FINE. chickens can really take care of themselves.. people just like to baby them. they should be fine (Even if their enemies), Cold will bring them together at night :}

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by