Then there were two...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dr.GarryTTucker, May 26, 2018.

1. Left

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Right

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    So... I culled 3 cockerels today. Hey hey, Mr. Burns, and Quasimodo. Bet you can’t figured out which one I named. (We will be eating hey hey and mr burns Monday)

The story is I bought a straight run for my wife and turned out to be 50/50 hens to roosters. I Recently bought 26 more chickens, 20 of them “C Monsters” the other six to replace the roosters with pullers.

I’m being very picky on looks and behavior. I’d like some opinions on the last two. Which one looks more like a Rhode Island Red? The behavior I’ll have to decide. But I need some help with looks

If you have a name for the last one post it too!

Attached Files:

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I like left the most,Their colors are not too different,but left looks a bit thicker and in general looks better to me.

nekker57 likes this.
  3. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    So the sadest thing happened. Tonight the one on the left kept looking and looking for the other three. He would call and keep going in and out of the coop calling for them.... sad day

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I hate seeing that. Saw the same behavior from my Cornish cross pullet after I was forced to rehome most of my flock

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Dr.GarryTTucker likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree about the cockerel on the left. Heavier, wider, and more chest is better. Smaller and narrow isn't good.
    He'll be happy about the new pullets!
    Mary

nekker57 and Dr.GarryTTucker like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wondering if the left one just has a really stuffed crop?

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It is difficult to be sure from a couple of snapshots.
    I weigh mine, and observe them, and reread the breed standard. Temperment first!!!
    From the photos here, wider and deeper means that cockerel on the left.
    Mary

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I liked the second picture, with the rooster slightly bent down. One leg is curled, but I am assuming it is ok. However when deciding this, you really need to put your hands on them. Feathers can hide a lot.

Check the feet, legs, they need to be straight, toes straight, and the spur should be in the correct position. Using your hands, measure the distance between the wings. Weigh the birds. Also might be too late, but when did they reach maturity. Again using your hands, check the development of the breast.

Closely examine the beak, it needs to be straight, and check the width of the head and the placement of the comb.

^^above advice is good about checking the standards. Faults have a tendency to be passed on and magnified over time....much more so than strengths?

Mrs K

Dr.GarryTTucker likes this.
  9. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    So after a couple of days the one on the right, the bigger one, started doing the courtship dance around me when I was going out to feed them. Looks like he is becoming gumbo this weekend. I was told he would always see me as another rooster trying to take his girls. So lefty is the one we are gonna keep. He is smaller but as of now he is more gentle with the girls. Doesn’t chase them hard. Just a little. Not like poncho. So it looks like the federales will get him this time.

10. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Sorry poncho is on the left. Lefty is the skinnier one. Poncho only lefts him eat when poncho wants him to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: