Then there where ten!!!!!! Ack what was I thinking!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlittle1980, May 22, 2010.

1. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    Ack! I took in 5 more runnners today [​IMG] so now I have ten [​IMG] The family I got them from did not know is they where male or female. are they too old for vent sexing? They are all 2 weeks old my orignal 5 and the new 5 kids. When can they move outside? FULL TIME? with 10 runners in the house it is going to get pretty stinky!

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    OH yes! I have 16 ducks in the house right now. I feel your pain! At the time when these little guys/girls showed up it upped my number of brooding birds (all in the house) to 44, and 26 of those were ducks. I freaked a little on day 2 or 3 and posted on here that I was losing my mind. LOL. My ducks have been pretty consistantly ready for the outdoors at week five. Other people have put them out earlier, and then again others have put them out much later. Kind of depends on your temps, and how hardy you feel they are. If you do a search for "when can ducks go outside" or "when can they go outside" you ought to turn up some good threads that go into the issue in depth. I have a book that says after 4 weeks they can pretty much handle anything, so far, in my limited experience, I think that is pretty close to accurate. Oh, and you should really post some pics of the stinky little buggers! [​IMG]

3. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Yea, post pix please!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Do runners go broody???

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Mine are outside permenently at 3 weeks. Of course they are near the house since they are still snake snack sized but once they really start getting their feathers in I put them out with the adults in their own seperate pen.

5. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    In a few weeks I hope to know who is a boy and who is a girl... I keep asking them but all they do is peep at me. I would love to keep them all but this is a backyard flock and I already have two pekins. I have been thinking about rehome them and keeping the runners. I will just have to see how everything goes

so here is the plan they will stay in here during the day unless it is raining

[​IMG]

Yeah I know not the beat looking thing in the world....... I threw the trap over them I was worried about the sun...... The broad is so they have a dry place to be the box on top is what i use to carry them in.....or at least 5 at a time.

Then at night I am going to put them in a big dog crate in the garage. The new 5, where living in a garden tub in the family bathroom.

I feel like I abandoned them outside

[​IMG]

6. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    so what do yall think?

7. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    You could move the run next to the fence, double the size of it by splitting it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by