theOEGBman, sad day at the ShowMe ranch (pic added)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showme31, Sep 10, 2008.

1. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Sometime during the night the last Jordan Duck lost his will to live. He never actually recovered from the leg injury and I was battling to get him to eat.

I was glad to have him for the 18 months or so that I had him. He was here because you asked me not chill the eggs. He had a rough start, the incubator spiked to over 105* and these 3 eggs are the only ones that survived out of 2 doz. He survived the brooder light going out that claimed one of the Jordan ducks, they mashed that poor fella. He survived a coon attack that took a couple of his buds, I forgot to lock the duck house door. Survived a mink that managed to squeeze in the pen and claim the life of Crazy Feather (Jordan Duck #2) and some more of his buds, left him with some horrific injuries. He battled hard to recover from an unknown leg injury, suspect may have been the mangy fox that had been around for a while. I'll sure miss him, he'd gotten so friendly.

Jul

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] So sorry for your loss.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Juls, my heart dropped when I got your PM.

Im so glad you kept these guys going in order to give them a chance. I know they had an absolutely wonderful life. [​IMG] Im so so sorry for your loss.

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Awww, such sad news! It sounds like he - and you - have been through so much. I'm sorry for your loss.

5. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Thanks, he was almost more like a dog than a duck. When we let out the other ducks they take off to the pond, but I would carry him down and he quickly learned to stay at my feet for his free ride.

It's amazing how a duck that wasn't really wanted as an egg quickly became the most loved duck that I owned.

Jul

Here's a pic that one of my kids snapped not to long ago

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Juls, that photo was taken on my birthday! Ahh, how special is that. He was such a gorgeous duck. Im so sorry for his passing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by