Theoretical Coop (w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hannalice, Jun 20, 2010.

1. hannalice

hannalice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    Hey all!

I've been playing with coop designs all day and figured I'd post them here for feedback (plus I just want to share!) The design is based off a few different designs posted here previously (Thanks BYCers!![​IMG] ) and is pretty basic. It's also been drawn in it's entirety by someone who only has the vaguest clue of what she's doing- any really obvious, glaring flaws, please point them out! I couldn't seem to get a handle on Google Sketchup, so I used Paint (forgive me!) I'm planning on having 4-5 standard hens (a random mix of birds... Amerucana, Hamburg, Sumatra and a Dominique for sure) and I should be able to give them some range time in the afternoon/evenings when there's no one around (I live above the vet clinic where I work!) I still haven't made some rather crucial decisions (i.e: lineloeum vs. primer for the floor, whether to prime/paint the interior, insulating or not, etc) but I figure I can get to those when this is more than theoretical- which I should hear about tomorrow! [​IMG]

Anyway, on with the *COUGHbadlydrawnCOUGH* pictures!

[​IMG]

Basic measurements. Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited space, or this would be a whole lot bigger! What it says in those blurry spots on the coop is 4'x4' for the coop and 2'x2' on the bottom.I'm planning on sand for the run, and tin for the roof. Also planning on burying hardware cloth, and skirting it- critters, we has them. This is going to be in a shady area right up against the clinic, it doesn't get wildly hot here any time of day- the only thing I have to think about is falling snow from the building!

[​IMG]

The left side, or: What Qualifies as the Back of the Coop- this is the longest side of the coop (5'x4') so it only made sense to put the people door here. Also, I'm putting a 2'x2'x5' storage area in here, as I have no other place to keep feed, bedding, etc. (Other than in the chickens, that is!) This will be facing the clinic.

[​IMG]

The actual back of the coop w/ a high vent that can be closed in terrible weather. This will also be facing the clinic.

[​IMG]

My apologies for this pic, it barely makes sense to me, even. This would be the right side, looking in from the run. My door to the run is here as well.

[​IMG]

Inside. I'm not totally set on putting the perches there yet.

And there it is! Please, feel free to tear this apart so I can put it back together again!

2. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Good work for paint, I too have taken on the Google Sketch up, and if you watch some of their tutorial videos, you'd have it in no time!

As for the coop, I am a newbie as well, in the process of figuring out exactly how I'm dong mine. Mine will be a 4 x 4 coop for 4 girls. I'm curious, what is the 2x2 box on the bottom??

Best of luck

3. hannalice

hannalice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    Quote:That's gonna be my storage- 2' wide, 2' tall, and 5' long. Should be enough for feed/bedding a little extra stuff. Hopefully. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Good sketch. I think it looks real good next coop I build is going to have storage also great idea.

5. KaterCheek

KaterCheek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Arizona
    It looks pretty good to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by